[2]

(Danielle's POV)

Darkness.

That's all I can see.

No sounds.

No voices.

Nothing but numbness.

Where am I?

I felt something cold being placed across my forehead, and then feel something warm take hold of my hand. Someone was in here with me. The feeling was so foreign to me I strained my whole body in hopes that I'd be able to regain all of my senses and be able to open my eyes.

"She is to be brought to him immediately after she wakes up. Do you understand?"

"Yes"

"No delays"

"I understand"

So there is someone in here with me.

Dread fills within me, as I slowly regain my memories and realise something is wrong. I was in the Quarter Quell with Johanna. She had Beetee with her. We were running. The arena was falling apart. Panic rushed through me as I willed my eyes to open, praying that I was somewhere safe. Somewhere they couldn't hurt me anymore. Praying I was somewhere with Finnick.

Forcing my eyes open, I looked at my surroundings.

Everything was white.

The walls, the floor, the bed; even the gown I was wearing. It reminded me of a......

Hospital.

Oh no. Oh please no.

Frantically searching the room, my eyes bare-witness to the one thing I was secretly hoping wasn't there but I knew would be.

In the far right corner of the room was a vase containing a single white rose.

I was in the capitol.

And President Snow knew about it.

Swinging my legs off the bed, I stood up and made my way over to table. Leaning on the edge for support, I looked down and noticed my legs were covered in patches of black, purple and blue. They were bruised all over and memories of the games clouded my vision. I was trying to save Johanna. We were trying to reach the hovercraft.

We were trying to escape.

Tears threatened to fall as I thought about everyone.

Johanna.

Katniss.

Beetee.

Peeta.

Finnick.

Oh god! Finnick. Was he okay?

Wiping the few tears that had fallen from my eyes, I picked up the note attached to the rose.

"Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem Forever."

Soft sobs escaped my mouth as the sudden realisation of what was happening kicked in.

President Snow has won.

Sniffling and wiping my nose, I picked up the vase along with the rose ready to drop it in the nearest bin.

"You're finally awake."

Startled by the sudden voice I turned around swiftly to look at the person, dropping the vase on the floor as I did.

Crouching down to pick up the pieces of the 'recently smashed' vase, I felt a soft hand remove them from my grasp. Standing back up as quickly as I could, I limped awkwardly away from her to the other side of the room; grabbing the nearest object to me, ready to defend myself if the time came.