Chapter 8: The test

"Cadet (L/n), Cadet Moore!" Barked a lean soldier, looking slightly uncomfortable in his own skin.

"Yes... sir?" (Y/n) replied looking up from her bowl of soup, forgetting her formality for a moment. The girl sat at a small table with Matthew and Cora on each side of her, the group paused their movements to see what the soldier wanted.

"Your exam starts in five minutes, Commander Erwin Smith and head instructor Keith Shadis are ready for you outside, please follow me." He stated stiffly.

Glancing at each other, the two stood up and walked over to the soldier.

"Exam?? Wait where are you going? Commander Erwin?!" Cora questioned as she was quick to stand up from the table, eyes wide.

"We joined late and seeing as we are on the older spectrum of most cadets, they will test us on our ability to see if we need to be trained or if we can pass through without the four years. They need older and stronger people sooner, they would prefer not to wait around." (Y/n) replied softly, turning to face Cora.

"But- you just got here! You cant leave I only just found you again, plus I'm only a year younger then you?!" Cora shouted drawing attention of the surrounding cadets.

Reaching forward, (Y/n) took Cora's hand into hers, "If we leave, I'll come find you to let you know. And we just so happen to already be be in shape, we just need to learn the equipment."

Letting out a sigh of frustration, Cora yanked (Y/n)'s hand forward and pulling her into her warm embrace, "Fine, just don't die on me."

Letting loose and accepting the hug, (Y/n) held her for a few moments longer before whispering softly, "You too."

The group parted and started to head toward the training grounds. The cobblestone turned to a fine grained sand, the area opening up to a wide fenced in location. Tall rock structures and open sky surrounded the setting, standing off to the side, the Commander and head instructor.

Soon the pair stood in front of their superiors, Matthew giving a quick jab at (Y/n)'s shoulder drawing her attention to where Matthew stood with his fist to his heart. Quickly (Y/n) picked up the same pose with a slight eye roll.

With a short nod Erwin spoke, "Nice to see you both again. Let's start with going over the ODM gear, I would like each of you to try it out."

And with that, both Cadets were put through a long days work beginning with basic instruction of how the gear worked. Matthew struggled to stay balanced but soon picked it up, which (Y/n) had no struggles and seemed like a natural. Quickly the two stood weakly in front of their superiors, the sun slowly setting after just finishing the hand to hand combat section.

A small drop of sweat slowly began to slip down the side or the young girls face, shimmering in the late night sun while the birds chirped flying freely across the side open sky. They all stood in silence, the only thing filling up the atmosphere was the sound of panting coming from both cadets in an attempt to catch their breath.

"Pack your things, you'll be headed to the scouting headquarters tomorrow at sunrise. I expect to see you both in my office upon arrival in which we will discuss your new schedule, which squad you'll be joining along with where you will be staying." Erwin released, giving a firm smile and turning around to walk away, leaving the two standing in a wide eyed disbelief.

As soon as the commander was out of sight Matthew was the first to speak, "we're in..."

"Yeah..."

"We made it in. We- we're gonna be scouts..." Matthew whispered still attempting to absorb the new information.

"Apparently... though I have no idea how... I mean, how did we pass a test designed for four years of training, in one day?"

"We're hella strong, that's how." Matthew said letting out a breathy chuckle, but quickly the two returned to their rooms to pack up their belongings and get their last nights rest before officially becoming members of the scouts.

Time skip: The next morning.

The room had a peaceful glaze simmering in the air, everyone deep in a slumber recovering from pervious days training. The whole room was encased in a pitch black as the sun was still far from rising, slight shuffling was caused as the only one awake quietly crawled out of her sheets and packed up the last of her things. The young woman moved slowly and carefully in an attempt to not wake anyone

Thinking back to the previous night, (Y/n)'s mind was filled with the tears and cries from Cora when she broke the news of leaving. The girl stood in the dark room watching the peaceful face of her long time friend rest, drool dripping out of her mouth.

Cora had said she planned on joining the scouts, so they wouldn't be apart for forever. But still, this leave left (Y/n)'s heart a little down seeing as the two had been separated for so long.

Leaning down slowly, a simple quiet kiss was left on the resting girls head and a slight squeeze of her hand before (Y/n) was out the door with her bag slung over her shoulder, walking away from one of the only friends she had.

Stepping out into the hall, she was engulfed in the bright moonlight, immediately making eye contact with the familiar brunette. Though before they knew it, the two rode out of the cadet training grounds without having said a single word to each other.

~
Hello! Oh my gosh it's been a little haha, got a bit caught up in life. Thank you for your patience I really hope you enjoyed this chapter (though yes I'm aware it was a little boring, but necessary) please leave any thoughts and likes as it really helps me out! Thank you☺️