Chapter 6: Leaving the nest

4 years later...

Droplets of sweat dripped down the edge of (Y/n)'s face, falling onto the ground beneath her. The girl moved rapidly, swinging her leg up to swiftly come in contact with the punching bag. Not even a second after, her fist made contact with the hard bag too.

Her heavy breathing filled the air as she stepped back out of pure exhaustion, oxygen quickly being sucked into her lungs and pushed back out.

The girl moved to undo the velcro straps that kept her gloves snug against her hands, quickly moving her arm up to her head and wiping the sweat off. A soft thud as the gloves landed only the table, from being lightly tossed from her hand.

Soft footsteps echoed down the barn isle, signaling someone coming. (Y/n) quickly snatched up her sweatshirt and throw it over her strong arms, covering her scars just in time as Mila walked through the doors. The 9 year old girl held the same hopeful expression as years previous, her soft brown hair falling just below her shoulders.

Smiling up to (Y/n) she stepped in the room, "Thomas asked for you, I think dinner's ready." Mila voiced with a sweet smile.

"Alright, thanks. I'll be there in a bit." (Y/n) sighed grabbing a towel to wipe her face.

Time skip- A few minutes, inside the house.

"Please wash up." Thomas said as the girl walked through the kitchen, quickly washing her hands.

The four members all sat down around the table, each sitting in the same spot they had been for the past several years. Matthew had grown into a young man, now at the age of 22 some slight hair framed his face, but not enough to count as a beard. His floppy brown hair still laid messily around his head, whereas Thomas looked the exact same.

Glancing over at the empty chair, (Y/n)'s heart sank slightly as still no one accompanied the other head of the table, still mourning the loss of Mrs. Dwindle, years later.

Everyone started to dig into their warm vegetable soup, accompanied by a slice of bread. The odd family sat in silence, the air only being filled by the sounds of crunching and silverware clinging on the bowl. Usually they ate in silence, but this evening a wave of uncomfortable filled the room.

Clearing his through, Thomas finally spoke up, "Matthew, (Y/n). You two will be leaving tomorrow morning at sunrise and won't be returning, pack your things tonight."

The girls eyes widened at his sudden words, quickly whipping her head over to Thomas much like Matthew.

"Hm?!" Matthew sounded as he couldn't open his mouth just yet as it was filled with food.

"You two are both more the old enough, I don't want you to be stuck on this farm for the rest of your lives. You will be joining the cadet coups, and pick which regiment you would like to go into." Both of them stared in complete shock. "You can join the military and watch over the citizens in the inner walls, keeping the king safe. Or you can join the garrison, protecting and maintaining order inside and of the walls. And lastly, you can join the scouts, though death would be highly likely. Scouts venture outside the walls, fight titans, and try to expand human territory. Personally, I would love it if you choose the military guarantying safety and a life of luxury, however please choose as you wish. You can always visit." The man finished, calmly taking a sip of his soup.

"What?! Your kicking us out??" Matthew exclaimed.

"That's not what I said. I will have some more orphans coming in two days to help me on the ranch and provide a safe home just as I did with you years ago. You two have grown enough to leave the nest." The man replied calmly.

"That's bullshit! We cant leave you need us!" The young man blurted, slamming his fists in the table.

(Y/n) shifted her gaze down to the napkin in front of her, realizing what Thomas has said was true. They had both more then milked their stay here.

"Matthew please pack tonight, the decision has already been made." Thomas said peacefully, standing up as he started to clear the table.

"Hell no! I'm not going anywhere, you can't just spring this on us!" Matthew was quick to counter.

Thomas opened his mouth to reply, but before he could the girl quickly spoke up. "Matthew, he's right. It's time we go." She sighed out, not wanting to leave her safe haven. The boy was quick to storm out, slamming his door shut behind him.

Closing her eyes, (Y/n) slowly took a deep breath, soon standing up and helping to clear the table to.

Time skip- The next morning.

The early birds chirped out, singing a sweet song into the crisp morning air. Two horse stood patiently tied to a post, their eyes closed enjoying their last minutes of rest.

"Alright that's it, everything's ready to go." (Y/n) spoke while leaning over and quickly tying her hair into a ponytail.

Thomas nodded walking forward, pausing in front of the two.

"I know whatever decision you make, you will accomplish great things. Please make me proud, you two have grown into such adults." He started, pausing and looking over to where Matthew stood looking at the ground.
"Matthew, I know you don't want to go. But please trust me, this was the best option. I've watched you both grow from scared young children to strong adults who are ready to take on the world. Please visit often, Mila will be just fine." Thomas finished with a tight smile.

"Thank you... for everything you've done." (Y/n) released softly, her eyes glued on the ground.

Thomas gave a small nod, reaching over and shaking Matthews hand, giving him a firm pat on the shoulder while the boy stayed quiet.

Now looking at (Y/n) Thomas took a step towards her, his hand out to offer a shake. Taking his large hand in hers, she quickly pulled him into her embrace, holding tightly.

Thomas quickly relaxed into her and moved his arms up to her back to give her a calming pat, she breathed in his scent once more not wanting to ever loosen her arms, but soon accepting her fate and letting him go.

(Y/n)'s eyes slowly looked down to the young girl hiding behind all the action, kneeling down to meet her. Taking her small warm face into her hands, she looked Mila in the eyes.

"Don't worry, we'll be back soon enough." (Y/n) whispered smiling sweetly. Tears started to flow down the little girls face, rolling over (Y/n)'s hands as Mila started to cry. The little girl was quickly pulled into a hug where she began to sob, her small frame shaking in (Y/n)'s arms. The only thing she could do in response was hug her tighter.

The pair separated, (Y/n) smiling sadly as Matthew took Mila into his arms whispering something into her ear.

Soon enough, the two horses were untied. Matthew was quick to jump onto his geldings back, adjusting himself to be more comfortable for the long ride. (Y/n) slowly made her way over to her horse, pulling herself up onto the horses back and into the leather saddle.

With one last tight smile, they all waved to each other as the pair rode off, the sun rising over the wall.

Time skip- that night.

The soft dull thud of hooves on grass, now changed to an echoey clop as the metal horse shoes came in contact with the concrete. Both horses and riders ached after the long days ride, put perked up at the new surroundings of an unfamiliar town, Trost.

Following the map Thomas had given them, they rode through the town, quickly to be greeted by a great area of land and back roads used for farming. However soon enough the two spotted a large building, lit up and surrounded by training grounds including a nearby forest.

Walking through the gates, (Y/n)'s eyes widened taking in the new area, soon to be interrupted by a man in uniform.

~
Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed! As always like and comments are always appreciated, I would love to hear your feedback ☺️