EIGHT: NEW FRIENDS

EIGHT: NEW FRIENDS

("The Flea and the Acrobat" II; "The Monster" I)

PENNY SCRUNCHED UP HER NOSE AT THE LOUD SOUND OF THE GUNSHOTS. She never liked the sound. The girl ignored the noise, as her gaze landed on Frank who was watching in awe.

"This is so cool and scary at the same time," Frank whispered to Penny, glancing at Jonathan.

She looked up at him and put her finger up to her mouth. Frank mimicked her action in a mocking way, making Penny roll her eyes.

Jonathan put his gun down and sighed.

"You're supposed to hit the cans. Right?" Nancy asked, coming up to the three.

"No, actually, you see the spaces in between the cans." Jonathan pointed to the space. "I'm aiming for those."

"Ah," Nancy replied, putting her backpack down.

"You ever shot a gun before?" Jonathan questioned tilting the gun.

"No," Frank said, not realizing the question was not for him. Jonathan gave him a look. "Oh, my bad."

Nancy gave an awkward laugh and answered the question. "Have you met my parents," she scoffed, putting her hands in her jacket pockets.

Jonathan chuckled softly and began emptying the bullets. "Yeah, I haven't shot one since I was ten. My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit."

"A rabbit?" Nancy asked incredulously.

"Yeah," Jonathan replied.

"That's horrible," Penny commented. She felt sorry for him.

"I guess he thought it would make me into more of a man or something. I cried for a week," Jonathan added.

"Jesus," Nancy uttered.

"What? I'm a fan of Thumper," Jonathan defended.

"I love Thumper," Penny remarked.

Jonathan looked at her and smiled, causing Penny to smile back.

Nancy chuckled. "I meant your dad."

"Yeah. I guess he and my mother loved each other, at some point, but..." Jonathan cocked the gun and continued, "I wasn't around for that part."

Nancy held out her hand for the gun.

"Um, yeah," Jonathan obliged, handing her the gun.

"Just, uh, point and shoot," he guided, pointing ahead of them.

"I don't think my parents ever loved each other," Nancy remarked holding the gun.

"They must've married for some reason," Jonathan reassured.