TWENTY-THREE: THE JUNKYARD

("The Spy" III)

PENNY, STEVE, FRANK, AND DUSTIN STOPPED WALKING, ONCE THEY ARRIVED AT THE OLD JUNKYARD AND STARED AT THE SCENERY IN FRONT OF THEM. The wind blew through their hair.

Steve let out a sigh, before speaking. "Oh, yeah," he said, nodding. "Yeah, this will do." The boy took off his glasses and walked forward. "This will do just fine." He put them back on and continued. "Good call, dude." Dustin smiled and followed the older boy. Penny and Frank followed as well and they continued to toss the meat out of the bucket.

When they got to the middle, they dumped the remains of their buckets. The quartet lifted their heads up at the sound of a voice.

"I said medium-well!" Lucas shouted, waving with Max by his side.

"Hey!" Penny yelled happily, as she and Frank waved back at them, dopey smiles on their faces.

"Who's that?" Steve asked the other three, talking about Max, when Lucas and Max began approaching them.

Frank and Penny expected Dustin to answer him, but the boy said nothing so Penny said something instead

"Wendy from Wendy's," the Hopper girl joked. Frank laughed, causing Penny to laugh as well. She was about to apologize for the joke, but she couldn't get the words out due to the laughter.

"You finished?" Dustin asked, annoyed. Penny and Frank stopped laughing and Frank gulped due to embarrassment. "Finally."

"It was a good joke," Steve whispered to Penny, noticing her becoming embarrassed too. "You wanna help me?"

Penny looked at Frank and he winked at her causing the girl to roll her eyes. "Sure, I would love to help you." Steve grabbed Penny's hand and led her over to somewhere more private, as Lucas and Max got closer.

"And they called it puppy love," Frank sang off-key to himself looking at Penny and Steve. "I'm getting those five dollars," he said to Dustin, before walking away.

☾➴☆♡☽

PENNY WATCHED STEVE'S MOUTH MOVE, BUT SHE COULDN'T HEAR TO ANYTHING, SINCE HER MUSIC WAS PLAYING SO LOUDLY. Penny paused the current song that was playing, "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett, and pulled her headphones down on her neck. "What was that?"

"Can I have my glasses back?" Steve asked, pointing to the accessory that rested on Penny's face.

"Sure." Penny took them off and put them in Steve's gloveless hand.

"Thank you," he said, once the item was placed in his hand. He put it in his backpack and sighed.

"Why do we have to go through this shit again?" Penny groaned, looking at the nice-haired boy. "I just wanted a great senior year. I planned on spending more time with the people I love, come up with more dumb movie ideas that Frank and I could write, graduate high school and never return to that shit-hole, and just enjoy this town before I leave. At least I'm here with you. You help make things better, Harrington."