FORTY-FIVE: THE BATTLE

(TW: THIS GIF IN THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS FLASHING LIGHTS. IF THAT IS TRIGGERING TO YOU, I SUGGEST YOU SKIP OVER IT.)

FORTY-FIVE: THE BATTLE

("The Battle of Starcourt" III)

AS WIND BLEW IN HER FACE, PENNY QUIETLY SANG ALONG TO THE SONG PLAYING IN THE CAR. She was stuck in a peaceful trance. Although, she was pulled out of it by her boyfriend.

"Jesus, how far is this place, man?" Steve questioned, feeling like the place was hundreds of miles away. He began to grow very impatient.

"Relax, we're almost there," Dustin assured his friend.

"Suzie must be pretty special, huh?" Robin inquired. "I mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?"

"That's really romantic," Margaret muttered in a dreamy voice.

"I mean, nobody's scientifically perfect, but Suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be," Dustin responded to Robin.

As he said this, Steve looked at Penny with a smile.

"She sounds made-up to me," Erica remarked. She looked ahead at Steve and Penny. "Does she sound made-up to you?"

Steve and Penny stared at each other, not wanting to reveal their answers. Both of them cared deeply about Dustin and didn't want to hurt his feelings.

"Why are you two hesitating?" Dustin questioned the couple.

"I'm—I'm—I'm not! I'm not!" Steve defended. "I think she sounds real. You know, totally, absolutely real."

"I agree," Penny lied, sounding very convincing. She was thankful for taking a summer acting class, before her senior year.

Seeing that they were near his radio tower, Dustin sat up. "Left. Turn left."

"There's not a road here," Steve acknowledged.

"Turn left now!" Dustin ordered, frightening Charlie. He had fallen asleep, after two minutes of driving and didn't expect to wake up to that. His face got pushed into Dustin's head, as Steve turned the car.

"Ow!' the blond groaned.

"Jesus! Hang on!" Steve advised.

Penny held on tightly to her backpack, not wanting it to fall out. She jumped up a bit in her seat, as the car hit a fence. "Steve, I think that's illegal!"

"Whoa! Henderson, where are we going?!" Steve questioned, distressed.

"Up!" Dustin revealed.

Penny laughed, feeling the wind blow in her face. She seemed to be the only person in the car who felt free, even if she was also a bit scared. The bumpy way up the hill made Penny feel like she was on a rollercoaster.