FOUR: PENNY GOES TO A PARTY

("The Weirdo on Maple Street" III)

PENNY SAT ON A FOLD UP CHAIR, IN THE WHEELER'S DINING ROOM, BETWEEN DUSTIN AND LUCAS. She used her fork to play around with the food on her plate. Everyone at the table sat in an awkward silence.

"Something wrong with the meatloaf?" Karen Wheeler asked the residents at the table.

"Oh, no, I had two bologna sandwiches for lunch. I don't know why," Dustin answered, with his hand holding onto a fork with a small piece of meatloaf on it.

"Me too," Lucas replied with a grin.

"I ate before I came here," Penny confirmed, recalling the granola bar she had a few hours prior.

"It's delicious, mom," Nancy complimented her mother, putting on her best fake voice.

Penny looked up at Nancy and gave her a small smile. Nancy returned the favor.

"Thank you, sweetie," said Karen before taking a sip from her cup.

"So there's this special assembly thing tonight...for Will at the school field. Barb's driving," Nancy revealed.

"Why am I just hearing about this?" Karen asked her daughter, cutting her meatloaf.

Penny watched the conversation, as if it was a movie. She did that sometimes. Sure, it was weird, but she didn't care.

"I thought you knew," Nancy replied.

"I told you, I don't want you out after dark, until Will is found," Karen reminded.

"I know, I know, but it'd be super weird if I'm not there. I mean, everyone's going." Nancy said, cutting her mother off.

Mrs. Wheeler shifted her gaze to Penny. "Penny, are you going?"

"Yes. Me and my friends will be attending the event," Penny lied in what she thought was a professional voice. She knew Nancy was lying so she decided to play along, knowing the girl would have something to say if she didn't.

Mrs. Wheeler sighed and turned to Nancy. "Just... be back by 10:00," she told her daughter. Nancy nodded in response. "Why don't you take the boys, too."

"No," the boys said, shaking their heads.

"Don't you think you should be there? For Will," Karen asked the boys.

Before their excuses were said, Mike spit out his milk and Penny gasped louder than she should've. Eleven (the name Penny found out, after Mike had explained what Penny saw that afternoon) was downstairs. Karen tried to turn around, but Dustin banged his fist on the table causing Karen to turn her attention to him.

"Sorry. Spasm," Dustin apologized.

Holly Wheeler looked frightened at Dustin's actions. "Oh. It's okay, Holly. It's just a loud noise," Karen said kindly to her daughter.