Chapter 46: Sky and Fire

Start from the beginning

If he can absorb their winds, we should stand a chance against the kraken. Wendy thought as she readied herself to–

"Wait, Wendy." Natsu held her arm.

"What is it, Natsu?"

"Can you try eating my fire?" Natsu snapped his fingers, generating a small orb of flame.

"You want me to eat your... fire?" Wendy blinked at the rather ridiculous request.

"Yeah!" He nodded with a smile. "You might be able to use fire magic too!"

Because of the mark... Wendy looked at her own. While Natsu's mark was blue, her mark was a bright orange. It did not grow like Natsu's did, but maybe after consuming the fire...

"Okay." Wendy held his wrist, a little nervous. "I'll give it a shot!"

She opened her mouth and began inhaling the small flames. To her surprise, her body didn't reject the flames. It accepted them and a comfortable warmth spread in her chest, one that reminded her of Natsu. Her mark glowed an intense orange...

... but that was it. It dimmed to its previous state.

"Well?" Natsu put his hands on his hips. "Did'cha feel anything different?"

"I do feel... something?" Staring at her hands, Wendy flexed her fingers. I don't feel like anything's changed...

"Try using it!" Natsu said excitedly, his eyes sparkling with joy. "I wanna see you use fire magic!"

"E-Eh..." Wendy scratched her cheek awkwardly. I guess I'll give it a try... she just couldn't say no to him. She cleared her throat and imagined channeling flames to her hand... focus, Wendy. She took a deep breath...

"Sky Fire Dragon Fist!" Wendy cried out, jabbing her fist forward...

"..."

"..."

"Hmmm..."

"Uhm..."

The two stayed in deafening silence.

"That... didn't work, huh?" Natsu cocked his head at a curious angle.

"Huaahh..." Wendy's face heated, flushing with embarrassment. There was no sky magic, which was fine, but fire didn't appear either on her fist. Why didn't it work?! I look like an idiot!

"Weird." Natsu scratched his head, visibly confused. "Maybe it wasn't eno–"

"Natsu! Wendy! A little help here?!"

They both turned to the voice and saw Erza, Gray, and Juvia battling with the kraken and sirens.

"Let's figure this out later!" Natsu began running to join them. "Let's go, Wendy!"

"Right!" Wendy ran along with him. No time to waste! Let's win this!

"ICE MAKE: LANCE!" Gray spread his arms apart, unleashing ice lances in front of him. Each lance targeted a siren, effectively clearing the way.

"WATER SLICER!" Juvia launched several water discs, slicing other sirens near Gray.

"Juvia!" Gray generated an ice shield as he moved to her. "You okay? You got slammed back pretty hard."

"Do not worry, my love." Juvia winked. "It was only a scratch."

"That was not just a scratch..." Gray sighed, then spun around and tossed the ice shield at an unsuspecting siren.

"We've driven back most of them!" With her two wind blades, Erza slashed through the battlefield, pushing away more of the sirens. "Keep up the fight!"

"Graaagh!" More sirens appeared, attacking from Erza's blind spot.