Chapter 38: Happy Accident?

"Pass it to me, Gray!"

"Here it comes, Erza!"

On the waters, our Fairy Tail wizards were playing a fairly intense game of beach ball. The others joined them very shortly, simply watching as spectators from the sidelines.

"They're really giving it their all." Jellal said as he observed them.

"That's Fairy Tail for you." Wendy let out a little laugh. "We never learn to hold back."

"Haha, it wouldn't be fun if they didn't give 110%!" Natsu pumped his fists in the air. "They gotta crush each other!"

"I... don't think that's the goal of tossing a beach ball, Natsu." Jellal chucked, amused by the fire dragon slayer's antics.

"Natsu, Natsu!" a voice called out to Natsu, prompting him to turn around.

"What's up, Juvia?" Natsu walked to her and Juvia pulled him away by his arm from the others. This didn't escape Wendy's attention.

"I have to tell you something very important!" she drew her mouth to his ear.

"What is it?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Did you know girls love it when you compliment their swimsuits?" she asked playfully.

"... Oh yeah?" he crossed his arms, curious. "Do they?"

"Of course!" she nodded with a smile. "It makes them feel validated and special about themselves, especially when it comes from the guy they like!"

"Oh, really?" Natsu nodded in understanding, though he wasn't sure why Juvia was telling him this.

"So you better give a compliment, Natsu!" Juvia patted her shoulder to encourage him, assuming he could put two and two together.

Huh, if Juvia says so... he inspected her bikini closely, noticing its vibrant blue patterns and how it fitted her body.

"I think your swimsuit looks cute on you, Juvia." He said dryly.

"... Huh?" Juvia blinked in surprise.

"The colors of your swimsuit match the color of your hair and eyes. It fits you quite well." He gazed at her intently.

"... Heh?" she took a step back, blushing slightly from his unexpected compliment. "N-Natsu..."

"Even as you're standing in this ocean, you–"

BONK!

"Ouch?!" A beach ball had slammed his head. Again.

"She means to compliment Wendy on her swimsuit, you numbskull!" Gray had angrily tossed the beach ball towards him and hit his head. Intentionally. "Not hers!"

"... Ohhhh." Natsu's eyes widened as a wave of realization hit him. He placed his fist on his palm in understanding. She's asking me to compliment Wendy?

"Maybe I could have worded that better." Juvia chuckled sweetly.

"Right, Wendy... uh." He shifted his gaze to her, checking out her swimsuit. Wendy did ask him if it looked good on her, to which he did. But I guess I never did compliment her directly...?

"Go tell her how cute she looks!" Juvia eagerly pushed him back towards Wendy. "Go on, go on!"

"Sheeesh, don't push me!" Natsu walked to Wendy's side. Just gotta compliment her on her swimsuit... should be easy, right? "Hey, Wendy."

"Mhmm?" Wendy hummed happily as she turned to him.

"You, uh..." Natsu observed her frilly swimsuit once more in greater detail... and it made his mind short-circuit. Ah... nothing comes to mind! Just like back moments ago, her swimsuit still left him awestruck. How was I able to compliment Juvia? He didn't even think, he just let the words come out naturally, but for Wendy, it was an entirely different matter.