Chapter 1: Shifts and Shenanigans

The moment I step into Shisha Shifters, the distinct aroma of sweet green apple tobacco envelops me. This week's special is unmistakable. I've sampled so many with my brother to select it. The place pulses with a lively blend of shadows and packed bodies, the hotspot for every shifter in town. I'd rather be anywhere else, but Alex, my brother and the owner, needed me tonight.

"Little sis! Thanks for coming in. We're packed. Brace yourself; I need you on tables," Alex says with a cheeky grin, knowing well my distaste for the role.

Females don't usually wait tables. Shifters can be territorial. One flirtatious gesture, and things might escalate. It's not the fights that bother me; it's cleaning up afterwards.

A familiar, teasing voice rumbles behind me. "Mine," it purrs. Spinning around, I find myself wrapped in a bear hug, staring up into Eric's mischievous hazel eyes.

"Gotcha," Eric laughs, the sound warm and infectious. "When do you turn 23?"

"You know very well when," I reply, swatting his arm playfully. "Your parents won't let you forget it."

Storm, with his distinctive champagne hair shimmering under the lights, joins in, "Eric, be real you got the date circled in your diary."

"We're like siblings," Eric and I protest simultaneously.

Storm chuckles, "You even complete each other's sentences."

Trying to divert the conversation, Eric smirks, "What about you, Storm?
Think Tiffany might be your mate?."

Storm coughs on his drink, "Warn me before you say shit like that."

While the two continue their banter, my focus is pulled by a panther playfully leaping across the room. I hope it's not challenging a hawk; those birds aim for the eyes.

Navigating through the crowd, my steps slow as I near Thunder's table. The pack's Gamma. Our history makes our interactions... complicated. He looks up, his golden eyes sharp and evaluating.

"Evening, Gamma. I'm Lauren, attending to you tonight."

He nods curtly. "The special, water, and pink lemonade."

Pink lemonade? That means Tiffany will soon join him. I might not understand his attraction to her, but I can't deny her allure. Those long legs, bright blue eyes, and fiery red hair. But her scent reminds me of post-Christmas discount candy canes.

As I return with his drinks, Tiffany's high-pitched voice rings out, "Thunder, why are we way back here?"

She's in a mood, first about the lemonade and then turning her glare on me. "Been claimed by the Beta, Lizzy?"

"It's Lauren," I correct, keeping my tone neutral, "And he was joking."

She smirks, "Careful, with the way you're going, you might get a reputation."

Grinning, I reply, "Thanks for the tip," and wink at Thunder, enjoying the slight flare of annoyance in Tiffany's eyes.

The night continues, a blur of orders and shifters, but thankfully, without further incidents.