Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"And he didn't explain?"

"I haven't heard from him since yesterday."

Piper already had her phone out and was aggressively tapping her thumbs against the screen. "Oh, no. That is not okay."

"Who are you texting?"

"Cole."

"What?" Adam made a grab for the phone. "No, Piper, you can't. I'm sure he had a perfectly good reason to-"

"Stand you up on a date he orchestrated?"

"It wasn't a dat-"

"And then offer no explanation for his actions? No, Adam. You don't do that to someone."

"Well, you can't just ask him."

"Don't worry," she waved him off, eyes never leaving the screen. "I'm texting James."

"Maybe it's personal."

"If it is, he could've at least said as much."

"Hey guys." Leo appeared beside the blanket. He dropped his bag next to theirs and collapsed onto his back. "You're not going to believe what I saw this bird doing in the-woah, Pipe. You look fired up. Is someone about to die?"

"No!" Adam said.

"Yes." Piper growled at the same time.

Leo looked between them. "Does someone want to fill me in here?"

Piper was still glaring down at her phone. From the rapid stream of notification sounds, she didn't appear to be getting the answer she wanted. "Cole stood up Adam on a date they'd planned yesterday."

Leo looked to Adam, eyebrow raised. "You went on a date with Cole?"

"No," Piper cut in before Adam could object, "he got stood up on a date he was supposed to have with Cole. Keep up, Leo."

"It wasn't a date." Adam groaned.

Leo was still watching him. "Did he give you a reason why?"

"No, I haven't heard from him since yesterday. I texted and even tried calling a few times but nothing."

Leo frowned. "That doesn't seem like him."

"That's what I said." Piper said.

Adam sighed. "He probably just got caught up. It happens."

"To the point he can't even send you a text twenty-four hours later?"

"I've taken that amount of time to answer your texts, Pipe."

"Yes," Piper replied pointedly, "but that's because I'm a triple texter and it takes a while to get through my messages. Also, you've never stood me up without explanation."

"She once left me thirty-four consecutive voicemails about a bill being overturned in favour of turtles being considered a national treasure." Leo said.

"Then there's the matter of your neighbour keeping you awake again."

Adam glared at Piper. "You can't have a personal vendetta against everyone who inconviences me in life."

"I most certainly can. I'm your best friend."

"That means you'd have to have a personal vendetta against yourself."

"Me?" Piper gaped. "What did I do?"

"So, you don't recall Halloween '09?"

"Oh, please. You looked cute."