chapter 37.

it had been a couple months since eunji and jungwon got closer through being sunghoon and hana's wingmen, and while it was quite obvious they were more than friends, one of them thought it was time to finally sort stuff out.

since it was still the winter season, they left after lunch and arrived by the time the sky was about to get darker, nearing the early sundown.

as they got closer to their destination, jungwon chuckled at the vividly familiar green grass and string goals, this time the field lights illuminated the nearing black sky. just before the entrance, the both of them left their bikes against the fence and walked in side by side,

"this is where we first met," jungwon recounted his old memories as they started walking laps around the edge of the field.

"i remember when i first introduced myself to you  and you tried telling your friend how annoying i seemed but i could still so clearly hear you," eunji gave the boy a light shove as she laughed at his eyes rolling.

the two of them kept aimlessly walking in circles, not minding the time waster as long as it was with each other. they came just late enough for the last soccer game of the night to be over and had the entire field to themselves.

"bet i can do a cartwheel?" jungwon shouted into the air as he ran down the fake grass. he flailed his arms around with a childish smile painted on his face, the same way a toddler would smile before making an irrational decision.

eunji cheered him on as she ran over to the boy, falling onto the floor in laughter when he came crashing down on his head.

"oh my god," she managed to get out amidst the laughing fit. "and to know you literally do taekwando?"

running over to the boy who was now laying on the floor, jungwon rapidly waved his hands to ask for eunji to pull him up, an accomplished, shy grin appearing on his face when he stood back up.

"wait! stay here, one second," the youngest told him before running off to the equipment shed. one of the better perks of being a team captain was that eunji had a set of shed keys, letting her to use any of the soccer equipment whenever she wanted.

she took out a ball from the top of the cart and threw it onto the floor, running to kick it onto the field. "here! let's play!"

both teens ran around with the ball, holding each other back from stealing it, as laughter spilled out into the air.

"try to score on me, i dare you," jungwon grinned as he called out from the goal. he got into a goalkeeper stance as the girl got in position to kick, his heart beating at the sight. just against his luck, the ball curved right around him and went straight into the net.

"something about this feels a little familiar," eunji raised an eyebrow as she walked over to the defeated boy with open arms.

jungwon walked over and let himself get engulfed in her arms, leaning his head on her shoulder. the embarrassed boy scoffed, "pshh, that was on purpose. i promise i wouldn't let anyone score a goal on me aside from you."

the two star soccer players went against each other a few more times, including a lot of teasing each other and mocking whenever one of them missed.

soon enough, jungwon tiredly flopped onto the grass, eunji following him soon after. laying next to each other, the younger turned to face the boy only to find him already looking back at her.

"choi," jungwon broke the silence, "i have something for you." he held a hand out in a fist shape and used his free one to gesture her to come over, the girl lazily groaning as she got up and moved closer enough to the boy.