chapter 17.

reminder to interact with the story!! feel free to comment, vote, etc, i love reading the comments :)

"jungwon! you're home!" both of his parents texted him earlier to meet them at their house for an 'important' dinner and jungwon finally arrived after a long day of practice.

"hey mom," he greeted as she tightly hugged him. "so. hi dad," the boy stood there as the older man realized and initiated the embrace.

they sat down around their dinner table and at first it was quiet. no one knew what to say or how to bring up the topic of the night.

"i know this is going to be hard for all of us, especially you. but you're our son so you deserve to hear it first, but your mother and i," mr. yang began.

"we're splitting up, jungwon," his mother finished.

and just like that, the boy's heart shattered. sure they weren't the absolute perfect family, but he was thankful he even had one.

there was a time where his parents didn't argue every chance that they got. and jungwon would do anything in the world just to get that back.

"you're kidding right? this isn't a funny joke. m-mom why aren't you laughing...?" the boy nervously chuckled as he stared at the sorrow filled faces around him.

"this isn't a joke, honey. this is real life, things like this happen all around us. your dad's taking the first flight out to the states tomorrow."

even though they dropped such big news on the boy, he couldn't really say that he didn't expect it. he spotted his father's passport on his nightstand a few months ago and knew the day was going to come.

"so now you have a choice, you can either stay here in korea or go with your father to new york, it's up to you."

all his best friends were here at home in korea, so the united states wasn't a high choice in mind.

"i'm sorry appa, i'll miss you." he got up from his chair and walked over to his father, giving him the tightest hug he thought he's ever given.

"i'll miss you more, remember to text me! i'll have to approve of any girl you date," the man laughed as he patted the top of the boy's head.

"jungwon, could you give us a second? find a friend's house to go to or find some alone time, we just need to talk for a little," his mother asked.

the boy nodded and ran up to his room, stuffing his study books into his backpack and shoving his shoes on. running back down the stairs, he gave his father one last hug and headed out the door.

...

the jingle of the café door opening rang throughout the building as the boy walked in. finding a vacant table, he fell into his seat and took his books out.

physics was never his finest subject and adding his home situation on top of that wasn't the best approach.

but as if god was answering his prayers, an angel showed up.

"jungwon-ah! how are you man?" jake walked up to the seated boy and took a seat next to him.

"jake hyung, i'm good," the younger put up a smile. "uh so, physics," he pointed to his textbook. "you've taken it right?"

"yeah! my speciality, i really liked it back at home. i was kindaaa good at it, you know."

the older kept going on until he saw the younger zoning out. "oh right!" he coughed, "uh so what do you need help with?"