chapter 34.

"wait, stop. what do you mean you got detention?"

okay so it might've slipped out of the girl's mouth when she was talking about her day at the dinner table.

"i-it wasn't technically my fault! i didn't—,"

eunji's defense was no use as both her parents were now giving her glares that weren't upset, just more so disappointed, which to her, was comparably worse.

mrs. choi's voice started to get louder as it continued sinking into her mind. "what happened to you? i thought you were doing good in school, why are you letting yourself slip like that?"

eunji set down her utensils, staring at the unreadable emotions both her parents' faces wore.

"mom, i know, i'm sorry. i know i messed up, i wasn't trying to get detention. you know i'm trying my best!"

on the other side of the table, eunji's father sat there with his hand against his forehead, shaking his head in disappointment.

when her mother realized that there was no way to change the outcome, she finally slapped the table and let out a sigh.

"if you were more like that one boy from your banquet, you wouldn't have gotten in trouble."

eunji wiped the remaining tears that formed on her face with her sleeve, questioning what she heard. "you mean ... jungwon?"

after some recalling. her mom's face lit up at the memories of him being a gentleman came back. "yes, that one! i haven't seen him around much, do you still talk to him?"

eunji tried her best to stifled an incoming laugh that mixed with her hoarse voice, having to cough to cover any noises up. "i guess you could say we're close."

"i'm glad, he was so polite when he came over!" her mother's instant mood switch at the mention of the boy made eunji's lips perk up into a slight smile, finding the admiration cute.

"i seriously can't believe i'm saying this, but spend more time with jungwon. maybe the boy will influence you to behave better." if eunji wasn't jungwon's #1 fan, then her mother most definitely was.

the girl silently chuckled as she nodded in response. her mother started cleaning up the table, getting everyone to help her carry the food back to the kitchen.

————————— <3 —————————

"so i leave lunch early for one day and you're telling me this bitch got you detention?"

hueningkai and eunji were once again sat in the one class where they had just the two of them, recapping on the chase the boy missed.

"welllll, technically i might have jumped on his back and caused us to get caught soooo," the girl rapidly mentioned. "but to be fair, if he didn't take my phone in the first place, we wouldn't even be in this situation!"

kai put his hand on his pouting friend's shoulder and gave her a saddened look. "so basically you both are in the wrong ... but hey, i mean it's good bonding time i guess? its like two people in group therapy falling in love but this time it's high school detention."

eunji gave the boy a slight shove before letting out a defeated sigh, looking at the digital clock on the classroom wall. "well, i guess it's go time?"

the boy chuckled as he got up and fixed the misplaced pieces of her hair before sending her off. he found it funny how all these years of their friendship, this was one of the rare time he's seen his best friend this worried.