───※ · CHAPTER TWO · ※───

CHAPTER TWO: SH*T LUCK

6TH MARCH 2022 - 09:57 AM

"Can't you see? The car has broken down, and the engine is dead."

"Oh, my gosh," Aaliyah huffs and leans back on her seat. "Are you for real? Do you not bother checking or whatever?"

I look at her as if she's lost her mind. "No, why would I? I wasn't planning on leaving my room, you know?" I say to her, explaining.

"Are you saying it's my fault?" Aaliyah's voice goes up slightly.

I gave her that's-not-what-I-said look. "I didn't even say that! I just said I wasn't planning on going out. Where did I say it was your fault?"

"You didn't say it, but you were implying it!"

"What, no? I didn't -" I stop. This always happens. Us, arguing. Either I say something that will start the fire, or Aaliyah says something so ridiculous like she wants to go at war with me. There was a time when we never really used to argue. But what happened to us? I breathe out. "Okay, fine. I'm sorry." She doesn't say anything. "But we have to find a way to get this car moving."

"Are you saying I should move it?" Aaliyah asks, venom dripping from her voice.

I roll my eyes. "No, you sit here whilst I move it. Is that okay with you?"

"Just peachy," she fake smiles and slides into the driver seat as I get out. I push my sleeves up as I mentally prepare myself for this. Breathe in, breathe out. Using all of my strength, I push the car. I was half-expecting some kind-of result.

I was wrong.

"The car isn't moving," Aaliyah says as she sticks her head out the window.

"I'm trying!" I didn't know pushing a car could be so ... draining. I stop to catch my breath.

"Try harder!" she shouts back.

"You try pushing it!" I groan. I mentally curse at myself for shouting at her. But I never expected for her to get out of the car, slamming the door shut and huffing as she stood beside me. She ties her hair up in a ponytail. I couldn't stop looking at her.

"What? I thought you wanted me to help you?" She gives me a look and rolls her sleeves up.

Right. We both start to push the car, not realising the car was heading uphill. No wonder we both got so out of breath when we were done pushing.

"Gosh, I think my muscles are going to cramp up." She touches her calves, wincing.

"But at least we did it, right?" I say, offering her a high-five. But she wasn't paying attention, her eyes set on something distant. Then she looks at me, grinning, returning the high-five. We laugh as we lean on the car, trying to catch our breaths. "Say, Aaliyah - Argh!"

The world is falling backwards. Well, me, I'm falling backwards. And the car is going downhill.

"Way to go buddy!" Aaliyah screams as she runs after the car. Mind blank, I get back up and start running for the car. But we were too late.

By the time we could even get close to it, the car had crashed into a tree. More steam comes out from the hood. Again, my mind goes blank. I don't think about the words that came out next. "I mean, at least it hasn't exploded, y'know - "

BOOM! We both jumped when we saw the hood explode and fire erupt. Yup, I spoke too soon. "Thanks a lot," Aaliyah says in a sarcastic tone.

"What - I didn't know it was going to - Hey, what are you doing?" I ask as I watch Aaliyah go closer to the car. I panic. "Aaliyah, come back here. It's dangerous." I move forward, reaching out for her.

She moves her shoulder out of reach. "Chill, I'm just getting our stuff." She groans, opening the back door. I watch as she carries the duffle bag, slams the car door shut with her foot, and walks away from me.

BOOM! Another explosion came from the car, but I don't look back.

Today isn't our day.

ANGER. (noun)
• this comes after admitting
the loss has happened. 
 the emotion can be directed at
several targets and may range
anywhere from frustration to fury. 
 it's best to not respond to the anger
and show support instead

published! FEBRUARY 17TH, 2022