Chapter Fifteen

Three weeks. It was well over going into week four and they only found a clue of where Anastasia's house could be. Worse off, it wasn't a precise location.

So far, they only singled out motels and lodges. "Well this isn't annoying at all.", said Chucky. "It's 06:08pm and we only know where she isn't. Isn't there a quicker way for us to find her place?", she complained.

They were sitting in a van that was parked near the suburbs in the east of Geiseinger. Freddie was in the driver's seat, occupied with the laptop on her knees.

Fei and Cree were in the back of the van which instead of seats had a large desk with eight monitors and two more computers. They were conversing quietly whilst checking for any records of anyone who moved in the area they were in on their screens.

Chucky sat in the passenger seat with her feet on the dashboard and headphones in her ears. "Maybe if you actually try to find a lead, you wouldn't be this bored.", said Freddie whilst tapping furiously at her laptop. Chucky sighed heavily. 'I'm on my break.', she thought sulkily.

For missions, they wore black body suits. Each suit was customised to the girls' liking and a customary pistol with a silencer. "Aren't you guys at least curious as to why we're tracking Anastasia down? She's literally the best in her year and she was about to get promoted to GF#20."

Cree's arm stiffened briefly but she passed it off as flex. Fei's eyes caught the subtle action but pretended she saw nothing. She knew why her friend reacted like that. Cree wanted nothing more than to be one of the best. Granted it wasn't the sort of thing Fei wanted to encourage but it would keep her alive at least.

Cree wanted recognition for her skills. She trained very hard to get to where she was. They all did. But unlike Anastasia, they didn't train from the time they were young. Each of them were ushered in by their guardians when they were eleven years old. Anastasia had been raised for what they were forced to do.

Flashback

The four of them first saw Anastasia when they went for their first day in training. Anastasia was called to demonstrate a few tasks. Much like their assessment setup, Anastasia stood on a raised platform as she showed her skills.

Other girls who just joined were watching with them and they could only watch with awe and fear. Target shooting, knife throwing and dodging, weapon assembly. Everything that looked absolutely dangerous and unsafe for a person to attempt, much less a child.

In the middle of her demonstration of how to use a knife, Anastasia's mother walked in the room. One of the other superiors spoke. "That's enough Agent 78A-B." Anastasia stopped and stood to attention. She was panting slightly as she brushed a curl from her face.

"Anastasia it's time to spar. Use your weapon of choice.", said her mother. The other girls watching gasped and started murmuring. Chucky nudged her sister as she whispered. "Do you think that green girl can take her?" Freddie whispered back, "There's no way! She's fighting an adult so she can't win."

Anastasia looked around the mat briefly before raising the knife she had in her hand. Cree raised her eyebrows in bewilderment. If it were her, she'd have requested a weapon with some range. "You're wondering why she picked a small weapon right?", asked one of the superiors.

Cree nodded slowly. "And why's that?" "Well she can use something to keep some distance. If that woman gets close to her, it's finished.", she answered.

"That maybe true but using a smaller weapon that she can manage gives her an advantage.", the superior said. Cree frowned and the superior laughed gently. "Just watch."