Chapter Thirty-Six

*narrator pov*
"I'm here. I'm here where is she?" May burst through the doors of the waiting room. She saw Walker "what are you doing here? You are not taking my girl away from me again! Not a chance."
"We're not taking her anywhere" Walker replied.
"May" Peter stood up wiping his face "s-she's not here."
"What do you mean she's not here? What's going on?"
"They took her again" Peter told her.
"Turns out you were right. She's innocent" Walker explained.
"Damn right she is. Where is she now? Who took her?" May asked.
"Zemo."
"Zemo? The same guy as before?"
Peter nodded.
"How? I thought he was arrested. And where were all of you?" May gestured angrily at Walker, Peter and Bucky.
"I swear I only left the room for a minute!" Peter responded.
"Ok none of that matters!" Bucky yelled and stopped pacing around the room "all that matters is where she is now."
"And where is that exactly?" May enquired.
"We don't know" Walker answered.
"Hm. Okay is that why you're just standing here? Doing nothing! Letting some lunatic run off with my daughter!"
"Ok let's go do something" Walker stood up and left the waiting room, and everyone followed him.
"God these people are useless. And we're supposed to worship them for being our saviours" May whispered to Peter as they went after him.
———
*y/n pov*
When I awoke, I had no clue where I was.
I guess that made sense with the whole kidnapping thing.
I was in a large ish room that looked almost like a prison cell, but kind of much nicer.
The walls were painted baby pink, and there were paintings of flowers framed and lined up on one of them.
Against the opposite wall was a small sink, organised neatly with little soaps.
There was a toilet next to it. In the open. Classy.
I was on the bed in the centre of the room, facing a plain wall with a door in the middle.
I went to get up and open the door, but I was just out of reach of the handle.
Above the bed, on the wall, there were four metal bars. Each with a chain connected. Each in turn connected to one of my wrists or ankles. Each very long, but not long enough for me to touch the fourth wall.
"Zemo! Get in here you little bitch I know you're out there!" I screamed at the door.
It opened and Zemo came in smiling.
"Seriously what the fuck is your problem? Are you really that desperate? Can you not just let me go and let me be?"
"I was saving you my love."
"Okay can you also please stop with the 'my love' crap. It's getting old. And I didn't need saving. The only thing I need saving from is you."
"That's crazy. I'm protecting you. They want to throw you in prison for your crimes. Not me. I will make sure you never go to jail."
"Okay for the last time I did not commit any crimes!" I collapsed backwards onto the bed "god! I want to kill myself again."
Zemo sat on the end of the bed and I sat up again.
"You know this isn't going to work. He'll find me again."
"And you're so sure about that? What happened to him not loving you enough?"
I remembered what Peter asked Bucky at the hospital.
———
"You love her Bucky?"
"For fucks sake Peter yes you're right. Stop being so smug about it."
———
"Oh yes I'm very sure" I grinned at Zemo.
"Well thank you for letting me know. We'll get ready for his arrival."
"Shit no wait" I stopped him. "I- I was lying. You're right. He's not coming. He doesn't actually love me. I just, I want to convince myself he does. But he doesn't, really."
"You're so cute when you lie" Zemo smiled and walked out.
I threw the flower vase that was on the bedside table at him as he closed the door.
Shit.
I had to do something.
This time, I wasn't going to wait around for someone to come. I had to get out of this mess alone.
There were no windows in the room, and the door was obviously locked. But it was still out of reach anyways.
I bent over and picked up a broken shard of glass from the flower vase.
I sat back on the bed and started sawing at the chains attached to my legs, but cut my fingers more than the metal.
"Fuck" I muttered and shook the blood off my hands.
I went to the sink to wash them, and I had a great idea.
I began to scrub aggressively with the soap, all over my hands up to my wrists.
After some force, the chains slipped off. And I repeated with my ankles (though that was admittedly more difficult to get my feet in the sink).
———
*narrator pov*
Bucky, Sam, Peter, Walker and some of his men were sitting in the back of armoured truck kind of thing, heading towards a location they believed you could be.
May was waiting at the police station for them to find you, as she was still just a civilian.
Peter had managed to quickly and sneakily put his suit on so he could go with them.
Walker was still wondering where Spider-Man had come from.
"Bucky. I need to tell you something" Peter started.
He continued to stare forwards.
"Y/n told me to tell you. If something happens. And something kind of happened, so..."
Bucky did not move.
"She was awake. She heard you admit you loved her too. And when you left, she told me to tell you that she loved you too."
"She was awake?"
Peter nodded.
"Wait you were at the hospital?" Walker asked.
"No you misheard" Bucky answered for him.
Peter lowered his voice so Walker couldn't hear "she really loves you Bucky. You're her everything."
Bucky pulled the necklace out of his pocket. He carried it everywhere with him.
"She's my everything too."
———
*y/n pov*
I went to the door and started to attack the lock with the glass.
It slipped out my hands as they were still slightly covered in soap, but the handle broke and the door opened.
I stepped out, only to see a bodyguard on either side of the door.
"Oh hey guys" I casually leaned on the doorway "just getting some... um..."
They turned and looked at me but I ran past them before they had the chance to grab me.
"Sorry! Bye!" I called back to them and sprinted down the hallway.
I could see the doorway ahead of me.
I paused when Zemo slowly walked out from another door and blocked it.
I turned around but there was no one else around.
"Leaving so soon?"
"Get out the way."
"Oh but I can't let you go yet."
I heard a crash from the other side of the building and smiled at Zemo.
"I told you he'd come."
I ran away from Zemo and towards where the sound had come from.
Gunshots fired behind me.
I stopped and turned my head.
"Did you just try and shoot me?"
"Warning shots. If I wanted to hit you, I would've" Zemo started walking towards me "come here. And we'll leave together."
"Not a chance."
"Don't make me shoot you."
I turned and sprinted down the hallway and round a corner, dodging the bullets coming after me.
When I turned the corner, I saw three candles arranged on a small table.
I picked up one of them, and ran with it.
Eventually, I came to a large window with large curtains draped in front of it.
I bent down and held the candle at the bottom of the curtains, and waited for it to light. It caught on and I started running again, dropping the candle on the floor.
Unfortunately, I had missed the fact that the floor had a carpet, that appeared to be very flammable.
———
*narrator pov*
The group of men swarmed in through the side door.
Walker started commanding his soldiers, but Bucky ran ahead.
He sprinted down hallways and through doorways, until he came face to face with a wall of flames, roaring up from the carpet.
He turned back to see Walker had caught up with him.
"Okay we need to go now!"
"We just got here!" Bucky protested.
"There is a fire spreading around the building! We will die if we stay."
"I'm not leaving until I find y/n!"
Bucky ran off away from the fire, and up some nearby stairs.
He started opening all the doors, calling your name.
"Y/n!" He opened a door into what looked like a bedroom. He saw chains trailing along the floor and drops of blood leading away from the sink.
"Y/n!" He turned and saw the blood trail left the room, and he began to follow it.
———
*y/n pov*
I ran down another hallway, but was met with another blockade of flames.
I was starting to really regret dropping that candle.
"Y/n!"
"Bucky?!"
I heard him calling me.
"Bucky!" I coughed.
I ran towards the sound, but more flames roared up in front of me.
I turned to find a new way around them, coughing repeatedly as smoke filled my lungs.
———
*narrator pov*
"Bucky. Don't tell me you're still in that building" Sam said through his earpiece.
Bucky was in the middle of a hallway, facing down another.
The fire was building up on either side, so he ran down the other hallway.
There was one door and a window at the end.
The door was locked.
Bucky looked back at the flames gradually following him through the building.
He walked towards them, then turned and ran straight back at the window.
It instantly broke and he fell through onto the ground below.
All of the windows around the building suddenly exploded and flames roared out of them.
Bucky got up from the pile of broken glass and saw Sam with Peter.
Sam nodded at him then tilted his head towards Walker, handcuffing Zemo.
Bucky marched towards them, but restrained himself from grabbing Zemo around the neck.
"Where is she? Did you find her? What did you do with her?" he looked between Walker and Zemo.
Zemo looked back at the burning building.
Bucky followed his gaze.
"No. Shit!" He took off for the front door.
"Bucky!" Sam yelled at him. "Bucky no!"
He ignored him and ran into the fire.
Peter tried to go after him but Sam held him back.
Some fire engines shortly pulled up and the firemen jumped out.
"Hey! There's a girl in there! A-and a guy!" Peter told them.
"What? They'll die!" One of the firemen shouted back.
They looked at the door.
A dark shadow walked back through the cloud of smoke and the bright orange flames.
Bucky carried you in his arms, coughing and gasping for breath.
He started running when he got out the building and ran towards the fire engines.
He lay you down on the concrete floor and bent over you.
Bucky started CPR.
"Y/n come on. Don't do this. Don't die on me" he said.
He gave you mouth to mouth a couple of times, then returned to pumping your chest.
And again.
Then again.
Crying, he bent down to give you mouth to mouth. Again.
You finally sat up and gasped for air.
But his lips pressed against yours as you leaned forward.
You held onto him and kissed him before he could pull away.
"Bucky" you whispered.
"Y/n."
"Bucky I love you! I love you Bucky" you kissed him again.
He stood up with his arm around you, pulling you up too.
You were covered in burns and blisters all over.
"Y/n we need to get you to the hospital" Bucky cried.
"No. No I'm fine" you argued.
"Y/n?" Peter came over.
"Hey dork!" you greeted him.
"Oh my god. You need to go the hospital! Has anyone called an ambulance?"
"Peter. Honestly I'm fiiii-" you passed out and collapsed to the floor.