Part 6.1

All in all, the trip took a few days. Besides, travelling to Starlight by sea lasted longer than travelling by air.

Nothing eventful happened in the cruise, save for the high maintenance Aphmau and Aaron required.

That didn't matter when the ship finally reached its destination: the now-empty port. It was starting to snow and it was about to close when Melissa arranged for it to keep open until the ship arrived.

Aside from that, she managed to keep away the media from swarming them when they came. News of Aaron's survival and him not being able to attend any public events due to his life-changing injury shunned them. She also gained their sympathy.

She stood on the dock as the ship lulled to sleep. She watched as they went down the ramp to meet her. Their thin clothes constrasted her thick coat.

Rowan looked around. "It's pretty quiet."

"The snow is getting thick today," she replied. "We need to get you guys home ASAP. I have limos ready to take you back to Lover's Lane."

He looked back at everyone gathered behind him. Then he looked back at her. "Let's go."

-

Aphmau felt even more weary after the cruise. She barely slept. And even when she did, she would be plagued by nightmares of Ein.

One nightmare that haunted her the most was when she was forced to drink the green potion. Then, the next few scenes unfolded like a photo album. All of them included dead bodies and blood.

All of them were people she knew.

We're going to have so much fun together, he cooed, his voice so silky as if he was caressing her face.

Her mother tried to comfort her, but she never understood these nightmares. Mostly because she left a lot of details.

"If there's anything wrong, mija, be sure to tell me immediately," Sylvana ordered. "Got it?"

Aphmau nodded, managing a smile.

Now they both sat on the limo, silence permeating in the car. In between them was the folded wheelchair.

"We're gonna need to carry you up the stairs," Sylvana mumbled. These were the only words said throughout the trip. Aphmau wasn't in the mood for a chat. She thought none of them were.

She also thought of what her home looked like while she was away.

-

Lucinda was flipping through the pages of the spell book. She took pictures of every page on her phone. She was well in the middle of the book.

"You should create a copy of it," Kim suggested back at the ship. "Just in case it gets lost again."

"I don't have my magic," she grumbled. "I might as well make myself useful."

Kim gave Lucinda her phone. "You can use this."

She took it. "Thanks."

Now that she skimmed through the pages, she realized that she was in the potions section.

For her entire time in the lodge, she was focused on the spells section. Specifically, the enhanced healing part. It could save someone close to death at the cost of their life force.

Sure, the spell was complex, but it didn't take her long to derive the basic form of the healing spell. All great things are based on smaller ones, after all.

This was what she had been practicing there. Obviously, it was to no avail.

But throughout the cruise, she reread the entire book while taking pictures of the pages and saw how much she forgot. Along with no magic, she lost part of her knowledge of it. She didn't tell anyone, though.