Part 5.3

Aphmau stared at Aaron, who had his back turned. The rays of light shone on his void scars. He slept so peacefully. It was. . .nice to look at. She smiled to herself.

Then she yawned. The clock on the wall told her that lunch was still hours away. She lay more confortably on her bed and was about to sleep when someone knocked on the door.

"He--hello?" she said, coming out a lot softer than she expected. "Come in."

She heard the door swing open and came in Lucinda, Katelyn, and Kim. They looked grave for a minute, but they smiled when they saw me. Aphmau never had so much visitors in one place before.

"Hey Aph," Katelyn said, her voice sounding weary. She probably purposefully lowered her voice "How are you doing?"

"Great, I guess." Aphmau gestured in front of her, where her legs were hidden underneath the blanket. "My legs still hurt."

"Uh huh," she mumbled, definitely uninterested. After all, it was old news. Then, Aphmau thought. They must be here for something else.

"Don't mind Katelyn. She doesn't know how to drive a conversation." Lucinda smiled. Her voice was smooth. It made Aphmau's muscles relax. "We want to talk about something."

"It's about your. . .father," Kim mumbled.

The room suddenly went cold. "What about him?" Aphmau asked.

"I think that he shouldn't be here." Katelyn's voice hardened. "I'm just looking out for you here. He doesn't seem like a good person for you to be around with."

"He must have some other agenda," Lucinda agreed. "It seems. . .wrong."

"I thought you guys would be with me in this one." The lump on Aphmau's throat formed slowly but surely. "He meant what he said. I can hear it from last night."

Katelyn sucked in a breath. "Please, just give it a think and--"

"I did and he's here to stay!" She paused. "We can help him change into a better person. If we're going to kick him out now, he'll become evil and I don't want another headache!"

Aaron shifted in his sleep, changing position. They were all silent for a while.

Lucinda huffed. "Fine. But if we catch him doing something he shouldn't be doing, then we'll deal with him."

Aphmau didn't reply.

"We'll be going now." Kim tried to sound cheery, but it came out strained. She practically pushed everyone out of the room.

When the door closed, coincidentally, Aaron woke up.

"Ughh," he mumbled groggily. "Did. . .did I miss anything?"

She lay flat on her bed and groaned. "Ugh."

"Is--are you okay?" Aaron asked. Aphmau heard some scuffling from his side.

"I'm fine." Her heart sank when she said those words. "I just. . ." She grabbed the pillow underneath her and put it over her head.

She screamed as loud as she could until her voice broke.

For a while, everything was silent. Everything she saw was pitch black. Good. She didn't want to see anyone.

"I hate it," she said to the darkness she saw. "I hate myself."

"What?" Aphmau heard Aaron reply.

She took off the pillow. "Why am I so dumb? My father tried to kill us for power. And now suddenly he's back like he's some new man. Everyone's blaming it on me this time. I. . .I screwed up. Again. As always."