X

Gene prepared his painting materials for his homework. “Acrylic paint, paint brushes, pencil, canvas, wood stand, palette, paper towels, and a cup of water...” He dictated. “What else is missing?”

“Oh! The painting knife. I could not paint without it.”

He searched his painting knife inside his room. “Where would that be?” “I remember putting it here” (his desk). “I should ask my mom, maybe she knows where.”

Mom, have you seen my painting knife? It's not on my desk.

No, Gene. Have you checked the living room?

Not yet, I will check it.

If not in the living room, check the kitchen.

Okay, mom. Thank you.

He checked the living room for almost 1 hour yet he didn't find it. He inspected the kitchen but still no sign.

He sighed. “I will buy a new one, hoping the store is not yet close."

“What time is it?” He looked at the clock above the television, “4:05 pm? I have 55 minutes left. The store will be closed at 5.”

When the clock strikes at 4:35, he immediately reaches for the car keys and his art materials. The reason why he will buy a painting knife at a store it's because he doesn't have much time to buy them on online platforms. Only 2 days left before the deadline of his project.

It's dangerous for me to go outside but I don't have a choice. I need to buy it for myself, I hope my phobia won't attack me.

While Gene was driving, 2 kilometers away he abruptly senses a symptom of his phobia, a panic attack. It caused his car in an obstreperous situation. He can't control the stirring wheel so well. His condition got worsened, his chest tightens as he thinks of clouds. He wanted to step on the brake but he can't, he was focused on holding his chest.

“Just close your eyes, Gene and think of something else” he spoke to himself trying to calm down however he can't stop thinking about clouds and it made his panic attack blow.

“This is the second time to feel this pain. Maybe it's really my time,” he said in weak voice.

He woke up and saw himself in a bed. He's in the hospital same as what happened to him 7 years ago.

“You are awake, Gene. How are you feeling?” the doctor asked him.

“Oh, Dr. Tum! I'm feeling better now.”

“That's good news. But why did you go outside as I told you not to?”

“I just wanted to buy a painting knife for my art project and drive myself to a store and I end up like this.” a sad voice.

“You should let your mom do that.”

“My mom is not home, doc. She is currently working so I let myself do it.”

“Okay, but next time be mindful of your disorder.”

“I am aware but I have no choice."

“I already contacted your mom, you will have a medication starting tomorrow after your discharge. I may go.” As the doctor walks away, Gene called him.

“Excuse me doc."

The doctor stopped his steps and turned around to Gene. “Yes?”

“Who rushed me here?”

“I do not know who, he directly leave.”

“Okay, doc. Thank you.”

Who can it be? I should thank him for saving me, for saving my life. I almost died for the second time.