08

╰ ┈ " 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ? "✎▫✧⭒...

---

It's been seven months and (Y/n) has gone through over 200 letters from a soldier she's never really heard of before. To everyone, he was unknown, but to her, he had a name.

Jones.

It was the last name that'll stick by her for a while until she reaches the end of the stack. She doesn't know how long he'll last, but she just knows that he'll be in her mind for quite some time.

The young woman shuffled around in her bed watching whatever YouTube video was on her recommended page. Most of the stuff there was usually some weird or bizarre thing. Sometimes, the videos actually were related to her interest, but there was some odd stuff here and there.

She had been watching a video about an in-depth iceberg on a topic that she's never really heard before. Who would have thought that there were weird rabbit holes on the internet? Seems like she hasn't explored much of it. After watching that video, she was sure that she wasn't going to reach out that deep on the internet.

(Y/n) stayed in bed for another few hours until her stomach begged her to get out of bed and get something to eat. She mumbled words to herself as she crawled out of her blanket and out her door. She made her way to the kitchen and grabbed whatever was leftover from last night's dinner.

The video on her phone continued to play as she heated up her meal for the afternoon. She hummed to herself as she tapped the counter. When her food was done, she grabbed a hold of it, put it on a plate, and sat at the dining table.

She watched as she ate her meal. She held a few pauses here and there, as she was mesmerized by whatever was happening on her screen. It was a bad habit of hers. It would often leave her losing her appetite. (Y/n) continued to eat and finished it anyway.

The young woman made her way back to her bedroom and placed her phone down on the bed. She can skip her routine for today if she's just going to stay home all day. She grabbed the box of letters from her bed and picked the letter on top of the bunch.

She stared at the letter in her hand. She was uncertain about opening it. She was happy to hear from him, but with the current state of his letters, she was unsure. She can't tell if she'll come out of this happy or not. (Y/n) leaned toward a joyful view of things and dismissed the worried thoughts in her mind.

"My little secret," (Y/n) whispered. She tore open the envelope and picked out a letter. Another paper fell out of the lined paper. It looked like a journal scrap. It was smaller than the usual paper size. Quietly, she scanned the paper.

"This...doesn't look like it's supposed to be here."

The majority of it looked to be a map, with some landmarks. Buildings look to be blown up. There was one that was circled with a cross. There were small squares on the ground. The words were almost scribbled. She could decipher some of them, like "unit 1" and "unit 2".

It was definitely written in a hurry.

"Why...would you have this?" (Y/n) thought about it for a moment. Perhaps it was just a way for Jones to remember where to go. There were arrows leading to buildings and they all came from the same starting point.

Gently, she placed down the small scribbled map and turned her gaze to the letter.

"Good morning Jones," the young woman greeted, "I think you might have misplaced something."

Not that it would matter to him now.

Good evening sweetheart,

It's been a while since I've been put back on duty and I think my ankle is doing just fine. It hurts sometimes, but with enough medicine to help me out, I'll be okay. I think I'll manage to get through the entire month in this state. It's way better than how I was before.