Chapter 28

The tension in the air was palpable as everybody took their seats around the betting shop. Tommy was standing at the end of the table, his hands resting against the wood as he leaned on them. Celia was sitting in the chair to his left, and she had her hand resting atop his, rubbing the back of it soothingly. She knew the amount of stress he was currently under.

"Thank you for all coming tonight," Tommy began after clearing his throat. His voice made all of the side conversations quiet down, everyone's attention on him. "Now you know that we've got an important day for us that is fastly approaching. The derby is in one week, and we are going to take Darby Sabini's posts from him and turn them into our own," he explained the major feat that they would be engaging in, "we are going to be doing this with as little violence as possible. We don't need a show, we just need to take the bets from Sabini and his men."

Tommy took a deep breath and looked at each of his family members before he continued, "I have also been entrusted with another task. Mr. Winston Churchill has asked me to pull a very influential man that will be in attendance at the races off to the side and get him to change his standpoint on a few issues. Lizzie...this is where you will be coming in," he paused yet again, looking over to the woman who was sitting and taking notes. She nodded before he continued. "Now I know that the Field Marshal likes his share of women, so you, Lizzie, will lure him to the spot in which I will have this conversation with him. Major Campbell will also be joining us at the races to make sure that this conversation gets had. We will do all of this without firing a shot. Am I clear?" Tommy ended his monologue by asking the room a question, earning agreements in response. "Are there any questions?"

"Yeah, Tom. Exactly who are we bringing with us to collect these licenses and take the posts from Sabini?" it was Michael who spoke up first. Celia sucked in a breath as she awaited the response. In the past few weeks, Polly and Michael have sort of been on the fringe, because Polly so desperately wanted Micheal to stay out of the dealings of the gang. Tommy had put him on different jobs back in the office, but Michael had shown time and time again that he would much rather be a Blinder out on the front lines.

"Only the men we can trust will be coming. That way we can make sure that the job is done, and it's done right," Tommy responded to him, then addressing the elephant in the room, "Michael, you will not be joining us. Pol has been adamant that she doesn't want you to be a part of this."

Michael's face scrunched up, almost in confusion, "you said that I was a part of this company...of this family," he tried to argue Tommy's decision, but the older man seemed to be remaining steadfast on his point.

"You are. You're part of the financial side of this company. This is not a financial matter."

Polly also decided to chime before Michael could counter, "I do not want you to get wrapped up into the other half of what this family does, Michael. You could make more of yourself. You should take those tickets...make a life," she was almost pleading with him. It hurt Celia's heart, because Michael did not seem to be listening. This whole problem had started when Polly tried to give Michael tickets to leave Birmingham and try to make better of himself. To say that the young man was appalled was an understatement.

"I told you that I can handle myself, mum," Michael sounded just like any other child fighting with their parent over whose idea was best. Except most ideas that children and parents argued over did not involve the possibility of the child dying. Celia was siding with Polly on this one.

"Listen to your mother, Michael," Tommy spoke up, his voice flat, showing him that the statement was not up for discussion. Michael shook his head, mumbling something that couldn't be discerned as he stared at the wall with a glare on his face. "Anything else?" Tommy asked.