Chapter 25

Celia and Tommy returned from the forest in a state of bliss. It was a state, however, that vanished about the second they entered back into Small Heath.

It seemed like tensions within the family and business had risen since they had last been home, and it didn't help that the first words said to Tommy were "you'd better get your ass to the Garrison right now. Polly's fuming." It came from Michael, and Tommy had to resist the urge of smacking the younger man for talking to him that way. He knew that the message had probably originated from Polly and he was just its deliverer. So Tommy and Celia dropped their things at Tommy's home and thanked Johnny Dogs for the ride back to civilization before they headed over to the Garrison. "She's in the snug, Tommy," Michael said as the three of them entered the pub. He motioned to the door, but stayed back, knowing that it was probably best for him to sit this one out. Tommy nodded and led the way into the private room, Celia following close behind.

The first thing they saw was Polly's standing figure, and boy, did she look pissed. Celia's eyes then fell on John and Arthur, who were sitting with their eyes fixed on the table like two school boys who were in trouble. "Celia, stay outside please, dear," Polly spoke to the woman before addressing her nephew, "I need to talk to you and your brothers."

"No, she stays, Pol," Tommy stated, firmness in his voice.

"I don't want her to bear witness to what I have to say to you boys," she shook her head, staying steadfast with her stance.

"She's allowed to hear," Tommy also didn't budge. They became engaged in a staring match then that only let up when Celia stood in between them.

"It's fine, Tommy. I'll go out there," Celia assured him that she'd be alright, giving him a slight nod as her eyes connected with his. His expression softened when he looked at her, and he finally let out a breath and nodded his head. Celia smiled at him before she exited the snug before the atmosphere could become tense again.

She sat herself at the bar and waited maybe twenty minutes before the door to the snug slammed against its wall and Tommy came storming out to exit the bar. Conversation quieted down as he exited, the room staying completely silent for a few moments before people decided that it was alright to speak again. Celia, on the other hand, stayed staring at the door where Tommy had exited without even thinking of her still being there. She was too dumbfounded and surprised by it to do anything.

"Thinks he's the leader of this fucking company and then gets hot and storms out when the pressure falls on him," Celia heard Polly mumble as she came to sit next to her. "Vodka," she told the barkeep before looking over at the younger woman sitting to her left, "I ran this company for five years while they were off at war and this is how he repays me," she shook her head, letting out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, Polly. He could be so stubborn sometimes," Celia stated, not even knowing the slightest bit of what type of conversation occurred in the snug, but decided to offer the woman sympathy. She knew full well how Tommy could be.

"Don't I know it," Polly chortled, sipping on her drink before she looked over at Celia. "Have you had your menses lately?" she asked out of nowhere, catching Celia off guard.

"Yeah, why?" she didn't even know why she lied to her. It just slipped out before she could stop it.

Polly gave her a look before glancing the younger woman's body over, "no reason," she shook her head then.

"I'd better go see Tommy," Celia stated, feeling a hotness creep up to her cheeks. She certainly wasn't selling this lie at the moment.

"Good luck," Polly tipped her glass to Celia, who just sent a smile before she put her coat on and exited the building with Tommy's house being her intended destination.