Chapter 5

Camila didn't see Lauren for the rest of the week. She did, however, get a text from Lauren on Thursday with details about the gala. It was this Saturday night, a formal event, and Lauren told Camila she'd arrange for a car to pick her up and bring her to Jauregui Corp.

Of course, she didn't know that Camila hadn't been in a car since she was twelve years old. She hadn't been able to make herself get in any sort of vehicle since she'd been in the car accident that killed her parents. Even now, she still had nightmares about the crunching sound of metal hitting metal, waking with her mom's scream still ringing in her ears.

Instead, she chose to walk everywhere. She lived in an apartment in the city which made it easy for her to get around, so walking to Jauregui Corp. wouldn't be a problem. She could still remember the trip home from the orphanage. Sinu, Alejandro and Sofi came to pick her up but she refused to get in the car, so instead they walked home. It took over an hour, and they stopped off for ice cream on the way. In that moment Camila loved her new family already.

- --

When Saturday came around, Camila could barely focus at work. She'd received a message from Lauren that morning, double checking to see if she was still coming. She had text Lauren back, reassuring her that she would be there as long as there were potstickers.

Sofi came by after she finished work, collapsing onto Camila's sofa. She picked up a pillow and jammed her face in it, letting out a frustrated yell. Camila raised an eyebrow at Sofi, as she jammed pins into her hair to keep her chignon in place.

'Bad day at work?'

Sofi sighed, sitting up properly and leaning on the pillow. Her face arranged itself in a sober expression. "I'm afraid that's classified," she said, before cracking a smile. It was a running joke between them, as Sofi worked for the FBI and was rarely allowed to divulge information.

"We've got a big case at the moment, everyone's a little on edge at headquarters," Sofi sighed. Camila was used to Sofi's frustration, her job was stressful, and in Camila's opinion, she was overworked. Maybe it's time for another sister night, Camila thought to herself.

Camila walked over to her clothes rack, rifling through her dresses. She narrowed her options down to two. The black looked more professional and classy, but Camila thought the blue brought out her eyes better. She hesitated, before turning around and holding them up for Sofi to see.

"Blue," Sofi answered for her, "it's your colour, and make sure you wear it with the nude coloured shoes." Camila signed a thank you at her, before changing into the dress. She applied some lipstick and slipped the heels on, turning to Sofi for her approval.

'How do I look?'

"Perfect, now you better get going or you're going to be late for your date," Sofi replied. Camila rolled her eyes, shooting Sofi an exasperated look, which was ruined by the blush flooding her face.

'It's not a date, we're just friends,' Camila protested.

Sofi laughed, pushing Camila towards the door. "Okay, whatever you say, but just so you know, you've spent more time fussing over this gala than you have about any date you've ever been on, so I'm pretty sure it's a date."

Opening the door, Sofi picked Camila's clutch up off the counter, handing it to her, as she herded her through the door. "Have fun on your date, stay safe, don't stay out too late, and I love you," Sofi instructed, her overprotective side showing, as she grabbed a coat for Camila to wear over her dress.

- --

Camila approached Jauregui Corp, joining the line of people queuing up to get inside. Once she reached the front of the line the woman at the door flashed her a smile, "Good evening, may I see your invitation please?" she asked.