Chapter 16- Late talks

Start from the beginning

My head followed the light that made the shadows monstrous and stared back into the moon, absolute and unmoving. As I watched it, I thought of what could be the reason for Cedric's change.

Most likely it took place at the Sun Empire. However, the hardest question to answer was when. I still had some time since, according to Francis's letter, everything was normal. He could be lying. Yet, I didn't think so. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my memories of the book. Lucreatia met him when she was 12 and he was 13 years old. He hated her since then. It must have been around that time.

I needed to be attentive when I saw him again, to find out some clues that could help me stop this. For my friend and to avoid future heartaches that would lead to misery for both Empires and their people. I opened my eyes, calmer and determined. Now I had a solution and a way forward. Those eyes wouldn't mess with my sleep anymore. They might haunt me, but they wouldn't stop me.

My stomach growled in loud waves and I jumped, surprised. I had eaten little at dinner, or any recent dinner, to be honest. Of course, after so much thinking and walking, I would be famished. That, and the fact I could detect a hint of spices in the air. I followed the smell, realizing with each step I was closer to the working quarters. I found it as quieter as the living quarters (maybe due to people curling up in bed afraid of the blood moon) and proceeded to where the smell grew in intensity. The last, turning more appetizing as I crossed several corridors.

I found myself in front of Emmanuel's kitchen, hearing him work in silence. The door was slightly ajar, allowing the smell of food to seduce me. Curious (and hungry) I peered into the room, seeing Emmanuel's back moving while he cooked on the stove. The smell, powerful and fragrant, was way too tempting for me to avoid any noise from coming out of my belly. I had lost any control over my hunger.

"I made enough for two." he said, without turning his head to me.

"You can't sleep either?" I asked as I entered the kitchen.

He stirred the food in the pan one last time. "I never can on a Blood Moon. And you, my lady?" he turned off the fire and scooped two bowls from a cabinet close by. He filled them up and turned to me, waiting with the bowls in his hand.

"I had too much to think about." I finally said, occupying myself with finding two spoons, while he put the bowls on a counter.

He said nothing, and we both dug in on the warm food. There was not much light, but the fireflies compensated on their own, making the room feel magical with its purple and red highlights. It was quiet and restful, and it stayed that way until Emmanuel raised himself and took his bowl to clean it by the sink. Midway, he stopped and tipped his head to the side, as if he heard something out of place. Deciding it was nothing, he continued his way to the sink.

I waited for a beat and ate one last spoon of food before raising myself as well. "Emmanuel." I called, still by the counter. "You said a student of yours cooked too. Who was it?"

He stopped moving, but he never looked at me. "She was very good at this." I heard him chuckle softly. "Initially, she had asked me to teach her so she could free her maids a little. She was a kind soul..." he choked on his own words as if they brought him physical pain.

I approached him, peering into his face and finding that it matched the sadness I felt moments before. "You didn't say her name."

He studied my eyes for a while before he let go of them to stare into the small window. "Do I need to?"

"No." I replied. "I know who it was."

A knock interrupted us, and we both looked at the door to find out who it was. We saw Junette in her nightgown and in complete shambles, as if the house was about to explode. We waited for the woman to catch her breath, nervous about such a display of urgency.

When it was taking more than we could handle, Emmanuel went to her side with a worried expression. "What is the matter, Miss Junette?"

The woman in question took a long breath before shaking her head. "No. It is good news... The Duke is arriving tomorrow."

A deep silence fell upon the small kitchen, as me and Emmanuel became a shade too pale to be considered human. Indeed, the Blood Moon was unlucky.... it brought back Gobbie!

Crap! I am not ready for this shit...

The Duke is arriving!! Are you surprised?? XD

And what do you think happened with Cedric? Uhhhh so many things happening XD

I hope you liked the chapter (and yes the student was Lucreatia's mother)!

What did you think of the chapter?