Chapter 11

"I will avenge my kin, human!"

The greater dragon is way bigger than I thought it would be. The monster's mouth is so large it could easily swallow an entire house, and whenever the dragon breaths, the resulting gust of wind threatens to knock me over. I have to fight this thing! I take a step back, shivering as I see the look of pure hatred in the dragons' eyes. No. I cannot let myself become too scared that I can no longer move. Taking a deep breath, I start to think things through.

For some reason, the greater dragon gives me the time I need. I do not know whether the dragon wants me to put up a fight or is enjoying the moment before it kills, but I am grateful for the break. It is big, but that could be to my advantage. I can win this as long as I avoid the claws, teeth, and fire breath. I smile, causing the dragon to look at me as if I was crazy.

"I do not know why you are smiling human!" The dragon's voice shakes the ground as it speaks. "But if you are happy to meet your end, I will gladly grant you death!"

As soon as it finishes talking, the dragon raises its head before spitting out its fire breath. I teleport away just in time before the ground where I was standing is melted away, and the surrounding trees burst into flames. But things worked out for me. Not only have I avoided the attack, I even managed to get above and behind the dragon. I'll end this with a single strike. Before the dragon can figure out where I am, I send an air guillotine to cut the dragons head off of its body.

"You are fast for a human!"

But not fast enough. The dragon activates a barrier of its own, blocking my attack. This must be what fools feel like when I dare them to break through my barrier. I send two more air guillotines towards the dragon, only for both of them to be blocked. I cannot believe it, but this dragon is more powerful than me. If it were me, my barrier would have been shattered.

Well, I am staring down at the dragon. The monster makes its next move. Bolts of electricity spark between the dragon's horns. I have only the briefest warnings before bolts of lightning scatter out in every direction, starting more fires and only just missing me. So, it can use magic too. Gritting my teeth, I wonder how I can beat a monster like this as the dragon suddenly shoots into the sky. I only just barely managed to avoid being swallowed whole, but the dragon predicted my movements

"Ahh!"

I cry out. In the blink of an eye, the dragon's tail smashed my barrier as if it was made of glass and smacked me to the ground. It hurts. Blood flies from my mouth as my vision blurs. I can feel myself falling, but I need to do something. It hurts my side as I extend my arm, but I manage to create a gust of wind to slow my fall, but it is not enough. My barrier shatters again as I hit the ground, and I land hard, knocking the air from my lungs.

I can barely breathe. I cannot even move without being put through agony. Looking up, I can only just make out the blurry figure of the dragon circling overhead. Is this it? Is this where I die? No... spitting the blood from my mouth, I force my broken body to stand. Casting healing magic on myself, the pain slowly lessons as the dragon lands again, causing a mini earthquake. I refuse to die. Not here and not to this dragon.

"I am surprised to see you standing!" The dragon says, examining me. "Are you even a human?!"

"I am," I reply as the last of my injuries are healed. "I am just more powerful than any human you have ever faced before."

"So, it would seem!" The dragon raises its head. "I see no need to hold back anymore!"

Wow. I barely had time to dodge that attack. The dragon shot another fire breath at me, and he was not joking about no longer holding back. Before the surface melted, but this time, the fire breath attack created a large crater. I really should have said I got lucky back there and hoped he continued to go easy on me. I cannot let him stay on the offence. The only chance I have is to keep him on defence, or he might blast me away.