'The soldiers could have some of the leftovers ingredients, I suppose... '

He made it back just in time for lunch, the little girl called Hana running up to his side the moment he stepped through the gate.

"Are you okay? Did you find anything cool?"

"Fine," he replied briefly, "Not today."

"Aw...you won't be able to find out since you're leaving tomorrow..."

"If I come back, I will be able to."

"Oh, I have an idea!" She suddenly exclaims, "If you tell me where it is, I'll explore it for you!"

"No," he has never replied faster, "The monsters there are dangerous, and you are just a child. Don't ask again."

Hana visibly shrinks back at his tone. It was always serious, but this time it sounded like he was scolding her which he didn't seem to realize as he handed the bag full of ingredients over to her.

"Take this back to those preparing the food today. I must check in with the soldiers."

He doesn't waste a moment to see if she nods or says yes and leaves towards the training grounds to check on the soldiers. Since the attack near Fort Fujitou occurred, many have been able to regain their strength and engage in combat again.

"Moriyama, sir!"

The one watching over their training calls him over, crossing his arms and nodding at him.

"I expected you to be off exploring some cave."

"I did, briefly," he explains, "Though it is not your concern, I just decided to return a bit earlier."

The soldier smiles a bit much to Mitsuki's confusion. He hoped it hadn't sounded like he wished to spend more time with them or something—that would be ridiculous.

"Can I ask you for a favor?" The soldier speaks up, continuing at Mitsuki's urging nod, "Could you train some of the kids?"

This baffles him more.

"You want me to train...a group of children?"

"See the thing is, when they found out you won against General Gorou in a sparring match, they sorta...kept asking if you could train them. I tried to convince them otherwise, I swear, but they can be really insistent."

'Archons, why me?'

"I see." At his clear discontent, the soldier tries his best to reassure him.

"You just have to show them a move or something! Something they have to practice and perfect for a while. Lots of these kids have lost their parents in the resistance or wanna help them...so I hope you understand."

"I..."

His voice drifts off. He was smart, intelligent, and he overwhelmingly prided himself on that but he could not explain the thought process that went through these children's minds.

"I really do not think that is a good idea," He shakes his head firmly, "I am not fond of children, and it is a waste of my time."