olv. house of candles

4.17

"Congratulations, love." Atlas spoke smoothly as he wrapped his arms loosely around Derek's neck.

Derek and Meredith had a successful patient in their clinical trail, and because of that Atlas decided that he and Derek would celebrate well Lilla watched Star.

"Thank you." Derek placed a kiss to Atlas's lips before he leaned away to grab a bottle of champagne. "Drinks?"

"I'd love one." Atlas grinned and unraveled his arms and moved to grab two wine glasses from one of the kitchen cabinets.

With two wine glasses, one in each hand, Atlas moved back into the living room where Derek was lazily sitting on the couch. Atlas stepped forward and placed the glasses on the coffee table before sitting down and laying so his head was resting comfortably across Derek's thighs.

Derek started to run his fingers through Atlas's hair, "Do you wanna watch a movie?" Derek asked softly as he continued to rake his fingers through Atlases hair.

"Do you wanna watch a movie? We can do something else?" Atlas countered and sat up so he could sit beside Derek.

Derek leaned his head against Atlases shoulder. "I didn't want to do her surgery. I - I was accepting the fact that the clinical trial had failed. But then Meredith, gosh, she told me I could do it and I did. She will get to live, to have children. To be a person." Derek exhaled and looked up to Atlas through his eyelashes.

"I would have been just as proud if you stoped and didn't do the surgery, bub. But you did it, and I'm proud. Im proud of you every day, and I love you." Atlas gently grabbed Derek's hand in his own.

"Yeah?"

"I love you so, so much." Atlas and Derek moved away from each other so they were looking eye to eye.

Atlas's eyes flickered to Derek's lips and Derek took the initiative and leaned in, connecting each other's lips in a kiss.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

Atlas wiggled out of Derek's grasp and slowly pealed the blankets off of his body, keeping one of the extra blankets wrapped around his body. He tip toed towards his and Derek's dresser where he picked out some clothing to wear — something that was nice, but not a tux nice.

Atlas sent a sleeping Derek a glance before he left their bedroom, closing the door behind him.

Atlas walked through the hallways of his and Derek's home, looking for the blueprints Derek had laying around somewhere. His blue eyes latched onto the blue looking pager sticking out from under a pile of medical books in his and Derek's shared office. The cardio surgeon stepped forward and grasped the blueprints in his hand.

Once Atlas had the blueprints in his hand he made his way through the house until he was at the front door. He had grabbed his set of car keys on his way from the dish by the door.

Atlas moved out of his home with everything stuffed into one hand. With his free hand he locked the door behind him. He got into his car and drove. He drove to the liquor store where he bought a nice bottle of something Derek would like. Then he drove to the store where he bought way too many candles — like a fire hazard just to own that many candles. 

Once he had the things he needed, he drove out to the land Derek had bought. Where the two would lay under the night sky and gaze up at the stars, sneaking glances at each other every few minutes when the other thought they weren't looking.

Atlas was doing this because he had heard from Mark — who couldn't keep his mouth shut about anything — that Derek had thought about selling his land because he and Atlas already had a home. Atlas had tried to convince Derek that he would be more than happy to live out on that land, where there were trees and long walks, lakes where the two could go fishing, large land where a dog and Star could run around.

Atlas pulled up into the makeshift driveway where the camper Derek owned was, along with the trailer that Richard Webber was staying in. The lights were off and Atlas figured the chief was either sleeping or gone — Richard was actually in his home with his wife, and no where near the trailer.

Atlas grabbed the many bags from the back of his car and moved to where there was a large area of grass. Setting the bags town of the grass, Atlas unraveled the blueprints and got to work.

He placed candles everywhere, and for a moment he was scared that the land would catch on fire. It started off slow, candled in the shape of a square, which then turned into some more shapes and squares. An hour or two later the layout was done — he had the outside walls done and he still needed to do inside of the home. Getting back to work, Atlas placed even more candles down.

Once every candle was done and placed where they needed to be, Atlas moved around and lit every since one. There was no candle in sight that wasn't lit up.

Then he sent a text to Derek, telling him that he needed to come out to the land.

Derek drove, and drove after being woken up from his sleep — but that wasn't a problem, he would drive for the rest of his life for Atlas, he hands down would do anything for Atlas.

Derek pulled up onto the land and parked behind Atlas's car. With furrowed eyebrows he got out and walked further into the land, close to where Atlas was. And that's when he saw it, when he really saw it. 

On the ground was a house of candles. More importantly, it was Derek and Atlases home, their dream home.

"I bought this." Atlas started, holding up the alcohol he had boughten and almost drank. "And I almost drank it."

"What? What is all this?" Derek gestured to the candles, the fancy outfit Atlas wore.

"This is me showing you that this, that this is what I want with you." Derek moved closer to Atlas who stood in the middle of the house of candles. "Here's the living room, and then the kids room. Uh, our bedroom, and then the spare rooms, yes there's more than one. It's all here, everything." Atlas told Derek.

"I — "

"I love you. And I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to have so many more kids with you, I want a dog we can call our own — Snacks brother or sister. I want to die in your arms when we're 97. I want to spend every second that I can with you." Atlas moved down onto one knee, he pulled out a small velvet box. "I, uh, know that we're already engaged. But I wanted to do this for you, you deserve this too. So here it goes." Atlas took a deep breath, "Derek Christopher Shepherd, will your marry me?"

Derek didn't even hesitate. "Yes. Yes!"