oxl. alive and awake

3.17

When Atlas opened his eyes, he was laying on a hospital bed. A sunset light was shining through the blinds, and he felt as light as a ghost. He couldn't feel anything except for his emotions.

He carefully stepped out of the bed, and realized he was in a hospital gown. Atlas left the hospital room and entered the hallway where not even the sounds of oxygen tanks or the beeps of the flatline monitors could be heard.

He slowly walked through the hallways, and somehow ended up in front of an elevator. He had walked there wilingly, but also felt as if he wasn't in control.

Confused, he turned to look behind himself, thinking that anyone who could have the answers would be there, or anything that could explain what was happening.

He heard the ding of the elevator, and then a familiar voice that he'd missed.

"Hey there, son. It's been a while."

╚═ ☆ ═╝

"What do we got?" Bailey asked the paramedic as the ambulance pulled up to the hospital. She had just put Meredith Grey into a ER room when she had been called out to the ambulance bay by a nurse.

"John Doe, hypothermic, suffered from ventricular fibrillation."

"He's not John Doe," Derek said quickly, stepping out of the ambulance and tripping over his own feet. "It's Atlas Lee-Sunny. It's Atlas."

Bailey's eyes widened. "Derek! Derek, Derek, how long has he been down?"

"I don't know, he-he just collapses," he shook his head feverishly.

"He collapsed?"

"Yeah, I mean he was on the ferry, and he had gotten Meredith out off that water."

Bailey frowned, looking at the sight of her best friend. "What happened to his chest?!"

Derek paused and looked away, avoiding eye contact with Bailey. "I-I don't know."

"Okay, Derek—"

"He's alive, he's alive," Derek murmured, staring blankly at Atlas.

"Derek!"

"He's alive."

"Okay, look. I need you to help me get him inside," Bailey said, trying to stay calm. "Clear a trauma bay, stat! Move it!"

╚═ ☆ ═╝

Everyone was switching between Atlas's room and Meredith's room, trying to bring the two back.

Derek, after being kicked out of the room, was sitting in the hall with his head in his hands.

Oliver came up to Derek, sat next to him silently, and gently put a hand on his arm.

"If it weren't for Atlas, she would still be in that water," Oliver mumbled. "I didn't save her."

"Atlas?" Mark repeated, turning his body to face him. "He was there? Is he okay? Where is he, Derek? Is he okay?" It showed right there in that moment that Mark Sloan cared, maybe cared more than he should ( not in a romantic kind of way, but a "your my best friend along with Callie kind of way )