Chapter 18 (Mother's Love)

Jennie's POV

I didn't see Y/n after that. It's been a week since then and now my mom and I are preparing for the new year. I told Y/n she could come visit to celebrate New Year's with us but knowing Y/n, she'll definitely not go. Especially not after the last time. I realized that she tends to run away from things that bothers her or makes her feel 'human'.

"Why are you preparing an extra plate?" My mom asked.

"Oh...I thought that...a friend might come." I said, trying to keep my hopes up.

"You invited someone?"

"Yeah, I forgot to tell you. But it seems like she's not coming anyway." I returned the extra plate back to its place.

"Why so?"

I shrugged. "Stuff." I tried to keep the disappointment to myself but I could hardly do so. I just hope my mom doesn't notice.

"Could you get the cake from the refrigerator?"

"Okay." I opened the refrigerator to get the cake. I removed it from its box and placed it on a different plate and I placed it on the center of the table. "You prepared too much. There's only two of us."

She smiled. "It's already lonely being only the two of us. Let's balance it out with lots of food. Is Nayeon really not coming?"

"Nayeon? Oh no she's in Paris."

"Well, who's the friend you said is coming?"

"Ah...It's a different friend."

"A new friend?"

I nodded. "Her name is F/n."

"Her? A her?" Her brows narrowed. "Is this the friend that you were talking about that suddenly disappeared?"

My eyes widened. She remembered? "Yeah...that's why it's impossible for it to be a summer romance." I faked a laugh.

She frowned. "Not really."

"Mom!"

"Okay...okay...she's just a friend if she's just a friend." She sat on her seat and I sat on mine. She raised her hands toward the food. "Let's pray first. Bless us, O..." My mother started. When she finished, she lowered her hands and smiled. "Let's eat."

I picked up the piece of chicken first and some pasta to place on my plate when someone knocked on the door.

"Who could that be? Your friend?" My mom asked.

"Impossible. But I'll get it." I stood up from my seat and went towards the front door. I checked through the door hole who knocked. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the person standing behind it. I opened the door in excitement.

"I thought you're not coming?" I asked Y/n.

"Yeah well...I also said that I'll erase your memories but things don't happen the way we want them to." She raised a bottle of wine.

"You stole that?" I whispered so my mother won't hear.

She looked at me with pure disgust as if I just offended, not just her, but her entire bloodline. "I paid for this."

I raised a brow.

"I may be a demon but I don't lie." She lowered the bottle of wine. "Kinda." She mumbled. "Is not telling the whole truth considered a lie?"

"Alright, come in." I smiled. I led her towards the dining area and introduced her to my mother. "Mom, this is F/n. My friend. My new friend." I made sure she heard the word 'friend.' Loud and clear.