(27) THE WEDDING OF THE CENTURY (part 2)

FRIDA

A whisper of uncomprehension runs through the small crowd gathered to celebrate a love story like no other: Ingrid and I exchange a beyond surprised look ; Melanie holds back Lucy and the rest of the agents (aka Ana and Daan) before they interfere ; Aitana and Christen had their eyes wide open when they also realised Ona was on the opposite side of the aisle ; Jill and Lia just frown in confusion ; the rest of the crowd that doesn't know about the whole story just make a collective 'aw' seeing the two sisters together. Ale and Mapi's father tears up, as they both walk slowly to the small stage set for the day, on top of which Kady Diani was awaiting to marry Ale and Shelina. 

When they get near us, Alexia exchanges a look with Ingrid, that was clear enough: let me have this moment, please. I knew my girlfriend enough to know that she understood, and would've done the same thing if it was her. So, instead of getting mad, she winks at Alexia: it was her day, her big moment. 

Mapi helps her sister walk up the two stairs, before going next to their father, hugging him tightly: they both were crying seeing Alexia so emotional and happy ; and it wasn't about to get better.

Shelina is slowly advancing in the arm of her mother, all smiles and love directed toward her future wife. As soon as Alexia sees the Canadian appears, everybody could tell that it was as if nobody else was here: only them, and their love. 

The ceremony was as beautiful as those two women : just astonishingly sweet, beautiful and breathtaking. Small discourses occurred, while Ale's father or Ingrid randomly told stories about how Ale was when she first met Shelina, how they fell in love, and so on. Daan and Ana made an unexpectedly funny timeline of their relationship given the impressions they had from work, while it all ended by Mapi getting onstage.

Her speech was outstanding, yet simple and honest:

"Ale was the best twin, and she knows it. She was the kind of sister that would get on your nerves for being so perfect, yet be so nice and present when you need her that you can't even be mad at her. When we were just kids and first got to Saint Ives in England, my first memory of this place was with her, on that park we loved so much, hiding from our mom and dad. If she was here today, mamà would be so proud, and she would be so happy that you are marrying the love of your life. Never in a million years have you gotten any interest in anyone, until She-She came along. I'm glad you've got her, those things are very rare and last forever when you're with your soulmate. (Mapi has a moment of absence, her eyes directed at Melanie. She clears her throat, visibly emotional, before continuing:) Sometimes, you've gotta take a leap of faith and have the courage to tell them how you feel, otherwise you might lose them forever.

"However, it's not my sister's and Shelina's case: Shelina, I never would've dreamt of a better addition to our family - even though you don't speak a word of Spanish except for cerveza (beer) and 'tráeme la factura, por favor' (please bring me the bill) - I know that 'cause one night, while Ale was working late, we got drunk at some random bar just the two of us. Take care of my sister, gringa, because you and I both love her more than anything else in our lives. 

"(she raises her glass, before exclaiming:) To the brides!"

"To the brides" everybody else yell, as applauses go on for a few seconds more. 

By the end of the ceremony, Mapi had disappeared. 

***

JILL

Our window had closed to arrest Mapi. 

For some reason, today wasn't meant to be the day: today is a celebration of love and, while Ale and Shelina open their first dance as a married couple, staring into each other's eyes and crawling into each other's arms the whole time.