Hi, Daddy: For Rileigh_Luvs_HTTYD

Start from the beginning

Dear Hiccup,

It is almost (Y/ N)'s tenth birthday. She wants nothing more than to have you here with us. She loves you so much. As do I.

(Y/ N) (M/N) Haddock is our daughter. She was born on (birthday) when we were nineteen.

I'm so sorry for keeping her from you. But I didn't want you to be distracted. I didn't want you dying on the battlefield thinking of your family.

I hope you come home soon. If not for me then for our daughter. Please, Hiccup.

Attached to it was another note.

Dear Daddy,

I miss you. I may not know what your voice sounds like and I only know what you looked like when you were with Momma in the photos y'all took but I love you very much. I look a lot like you, Daddy.

I am almost ten years old. Double digits, as Momma keeps saying. I hope I get to meet you soon.

I work very hard to make you proud. I started middle school this year. I can play the piano, guitar, violin, drums, and the flute. I have few friends but the friends I do have are for life.

I have to head to school now.

I love you, Daddy.

I miss you, Daddy.

I hope I can see you soon.

Love,

Your daughter,

(Y/ N) Haddock.

More tears came running down my cheeks. My daughter. My wife. Both gone.

My wife, who I hadn't seen since I left for the army about eleven years ago. My wife, who I would never see again.

My daughter, who worked so hard to make me proud, even without ever meeting me. Without me ever knowing she existed. My eleven year old daughter, who died along side her mother on her eleventh birthday.

It had been a day since then. But when I was informed that (M/N) was dead and they assumed (Y/ N) was as well. As I said before, many bodies were burnt horribly.

Knock! Knock!

"Wait for me to open the door, (N/N)," I heard a familiar but unrecognizable voice laughed.

I walked towards the front door as the front door swung open.

A figure came running into the room, swinging the door open. "Mommy, I'm home-" A little girl froze in the doorway. After a moment, she recognized me and her eyes widened.

"Hey, (M/N)," a woman walked in, freezing at the sight of me. "Hiccup," she whispered.

"Daddy?" the girl asked, looking up at me with big (E/C) eyes.

"(Y/ N)?" I asked. I knew it was her. She was the beautiful, intelligent, wonderful girl in all those pictures. She was the girl whose life I should have been a part of but wasn't.

"Daddy!" she shouted, throwing herself at me. I barely caught her in time. "Daddy!" She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly. I did the same but not tight enough to hurt her. "Hi, Daddy. I missed you. I love you very very very much."

"You're alive?" I asked.

She giggled, "Of course, I'm alive, Daddy? Why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason," I lied. "Happy birthday, baby girl. Sorry I'm late," I whispered in her ear.