7

After lunch Antonio and Bruno wanted to talk to me but I just told them I was ok, and that I wanted to be alone for a few minutes, before I went back to my room. I shut the door and sank to the floor, taking in the silence for a moment. Dolores is right. It is really peaceful...

Eventually I stood and I heard my mom ask ,"Verónica... ¿qué pasa? " (Veronica... what's wrong?)

"Is Rosa right... do I really deserve no one?" I ask

She put her hands on my face and says softly, "No... no, ella no lo es... ¿por qué te dejarías creer eso?" (no... no she's not... why would you let yourself believe that?)

"I don't know... I just feel like everyone I'm around I make feel miserable... like Rosa said, I stink of death. I constantly worry Bruno... it seems eery family meal turns into a disaster... I just want to to be normal mama.l. But I can;t avoid my gift... no matter how hard I try..." I say

She lowers her hands and says, "Pero ¿y Antonio? Parece un buen joven..." (but what about Antonio? He seems like a nice young man...)

I sigh and say, "he is... and he makes me feel nice, and bubbly... and I like it when he stands close to me... it makes me feel safer and warmer... but I jsut worry that I can;t love Antonio like they want me to... Antonio is like an older brother to me... I grew up with him... he always protected me from Rosa's wrath... especially when we were younger teenagers...i don't wants to lead him on... And pretend like I'm love with him... when I don;t love him in that way..."

She listened and let me rant befoer saying, "¿Volverás a decir esa primera parte... exactamente como lo dijiste?" (Will you say that first part again... exactly like how you said it...)

"He makes me feel nice, and bubbly? And I like it when he stands close to me... it makes me feel safer and warmer..." I say curiously

My mom smile and says, "Cuando dices eso... ¿qué sientes?" (when you say that... what do you feel?)

I blush and say "warmth,,, butterflies? I don;t know... mama what is your point?"

She cups my face in her hands and says, "Verónica. Eso es amor... eso es felicidad... necesitas construir y crecer sobre esa emoción... ¿Crees que haces que Antonio sea miserable? No. Él te quiere, Verónica. No es miserable cuando está a tu alrededor... y no eres miserable cuando estás a su alrededor... " (Veronica. That is love... that is happiness.. you need to build and grow on that emotion... Do you think you make Antonio miserable? No. He loves you Veronica. He's not miserable when he;s around you... and your not miserable when your around him...)

'"But he didn;t look happy when i was sad in the line, or anti fell, or even after lunch..." I whine

My mother shakes her head before saying, "Porque estaba preocupado por ti y por tu felicidad... no está triste contigo, ni enojado contigo, está enojado con Rosa. Él sabe que ella te lastimó hoy. Todo el mundo sabe que te lastimó hoy... necesitas dejar entrar a Antonio... ser feliz Verónica. Enamórate. Deja de dejar que tus bloques de metal te detengan." (Because he was worried about you, and your happiness... he's not sad at you, or mad at you, he;s angry with Rosa. He know's she hurt you today. Everyone knows that she hurt you today... you jsut need to let Antonio in... be happy Veronica. Be in love. Stop letting your metal blocks stop you.)

I nods before turning towards my bedroom door and rubbing my shoulders anxiously. I took a deep breath before walking cover and opening it. Antonia was pacing the hallway outside out doors and when I opened the door he practically ran over and pulled me into his arms in a hug. I took a deep breath and hugged him back. I needed it. At first I felt him loosen his hug, as he realized what he;d done, but I think he quickly realized I was hugging his back so he tightened his hug again.

It felt really good to be in his arms.we held eachother for a little longer then we needed to but when we finally let go he smiled pitifully and cupped my face in his hands, wiping my tears with his thumbs, i hadn;t even realized I was crying.

The moment was broken though when we heard, "finally!"

We looked over ot see Dolores standing on the stairs watching us. She blushed, squeaked and Antonia whines, "¡Hermanita!" (Sis!)

She laughs quietly before saying, "He talks in his sleep about you sometimes, Atlas... and it's really cute... until it gets into the levels of personal that no one needs ot hear... but I hear everything..."

She laughs awkwardly and Antonio's cheeks flushed and he whines, "Hermana, ¡te voy a matar!" (Sis, I'm going to kill you!)

Dolores laughs for real before chuckling, "no, no you won't..."

Then she took teh sleeping baby in her arms took the nursery.

Antonio looks at me and says, "I- um... can we pretend that didn;t happen?"

I shook my head and hugged him, "We both have things we need to work on..."

He nods, rubbing my back before saying, "the first being that we have a hard reality to face... we have to tell Tio Bruno and my Mama... and you have to stop calling Tio Bruno, Papa..."

I swallowed hard nodding, knowing he was right. Bruno will always see the man that raised me... but he can;t be my Papa anymore...

Antonio kissed my forehead before saying, "but we don;t have it do it all at once... baby steps are fine with me..."

I nod and rub his shirt where the flower was. He puts his hand over mine before saying, "It's ok Atlas..."

I sigh and nod before he says, "I think you need to go talk o Tio Bruno... he's worried about you... when you get back I have a surprise for you..."

I tilt my head slightly befoer saying, "Antonio..."

He just smiles and gently pushes me towards Bruno's tower. I shook my head and walked inside before Bruno looks up at me. When they rebuilt the house they still gave Bruno a tower but it was redesigned to be more suitable for him. The first level is his bedroom and the stairs up lead you to the open are where he can do his predictions.

I saw sand in his hair so I shook my head and said softly. 'Where is it?"

He sighed quietly and handed me the prediction. I tilted it in my hands. It was about Antonio and I. One angle showed what jsut happened, where Antonio and I were hugging, the other showed Antonio and I's wedding day.

I sighed said, "I thought you vowed never to use your gift on me..."

He looks down befoer saying, " you looked so pitiful earlier... I wanted to know that you were going to be ok..."

I sigh and set the vision down before saying, "You do know, that if Antonio and I do become a couple... then I can't call you Papa anymore..."

Bruno nods before saying, "It;s more important to me that you find someone your happy with then calling me titles that I'm not actually..."

I hug Bruno and he smiles at me. Then I back up and he looks at my hands which were still dirty from where I fell. He sighs and says, "Rosa has has a lot of pressure on her form Isabella and Victor since she didn't get a gift... she's jsut angry and hurt... I remember when you girls were inseparable. You need to try to talk to her... without snide and hateful words..."

I sigh and say, "that's a little harder then you think it is..."

Bruno shakes his head before he glanced at my skirt. There was a rip goign along the bottom of it. When Camilo scooted back my skirt go caught under the chair leg and ripped when I fell.

He gives me a concerned look and I say, "it's nothing... it's fine... I can fix it..."

Bruno shakes his head, putting his hand on my shoulder and saying, "you can always talk to me if you need too... ok?"

I nod before turning and leaving.