Prologue

I stood next to Bruno, holding his hand as everyone danced and laughed around us. Bruno was occasionally slipping me food or me to nibble on. Abuela doesn't want me celebrating with everyone else. I sigh and whine, "Papi? Can I go back to my room?"

Bruno looked at me before sighing softly and nodding. I slip pas the crowd and went up to my room, but I didn't go inside. Instead, I sat next to a plant, holding the handrail watching the party below. No one every noticed I was gone. Even Bruno seemed a bit more lively now that he could go socialize. I sighed and sat with my back against the plant, hugging my knees. Suddenly I heard, "Atlas?"

I looked over to see Antonio. Antonio is five and a half years older then me. He held out his hand and pulls me to my feet before asking, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing..." I lie, smoothing out my dress

He tilted his head slightly before I giggle, "I think you've been spending to much time with animals..."

He realizes he was titling his head before he smiling and straightening his head. Then he said, "Happy Birthday Atlas..."

I blushed and said softly, "Please don't... it's Rosa's day... I wouldn't want to take the attention to me..."

Antonio got a sad look and he says, "but... it;s your birthday too..."

I shake my head before we heard Abuela walking over and she says, "Antonia? What are you doing up here?"

"I came to let some of the animals out of room and I found Atlas..." He replies

Abuela nods before saying, "Go on Antonio... Join the family..."

Antonia looks at me before giving me a sad smile and walking away.  Abuela grabs my wrist and I whimper and she pulls me towards my room. She tosses me into the nursery before saying, "stay here... stay out of the way. I don't want you seen..."

I nodded quickly and she leaves shutting the door behind her. I sniffle, wiping my eyes and nose before sitting on my bed. I hugged my knees and listened to the music before hearing it pipe down and Abuela start her speech about how great the Miracle is. Then the attention most likely turned to Rosa. I sighed and shook my head before listen to Abuela asking if she will make the village and family great. Then she walked over. But there were gasps of surprise.

I was curious but I dared not to leave my room. After a moment of some quiet talking Bruno quickly came into my room and picked me up taking me in his arms. Abuela walked in and spat, "give me Atlas... if this is true I want her out of this house."

"No. If this is true then she was given to us by the miracle. There was a reason we couldn't give her to a family. If this is it, I will continue to raise her, or else I will leave again. You are not casting her out whatever her gift may be." Bruno spat

Abuela softened before I cry, "Papi what's happening..."

Bruno looks at me and says softly, "We think this door might be yours, Atlas..."

My eyes widen befoer I say, "but- but it;s Rosa's..."

"But today is your birthday..." he says setting me down

I blush and nod before he attempts to do something with my hair before walking me out behind Abuela. I could hear people whispering and murmuring but he biggest thing I heard was, "who is she? Who is that? Is she a Madrigal? Is she Bruno's?"