1 ~ Thirteen Years Later

I coughed for about the millionth time that night, and finally Dolores brought me some soup, tissues, and cough drops. I blushed and said weakly, "Thank you Dolores... I'm sorry..."

She just smiles and sets everything next to me befoer asking, "What won't you let Tia Julieta help you?"

I shake my head befoer saying, "My mom's desperate to take care of her sick daughter at least once..."

"I thought you stop using your gift like Tio Bruno?" She says

"That doesn't mean I can stop seeing them... my mother likes to bring me gifts from the other side..." I reply before turning away and coughing

Dolores nods before looking out over the five different bridges and asking, "have you been out there? It's the strangest thing... how death is so silent... your room is the only room that goes completely quiet for me... except for you of course...that's why I leave your bedroom door cracked when I come in... to stop the loudness of when I leave your room."

I sigh and say, "yes... I've been over a few times... to give your offerings and gifts to Abuela and give offerings on Día de Muertos... I had ot stop though..."

Dolores nods before looking up and saying, "You need to tell Tio Bruno why your not letting Tia Julieta help you... he's worried about you..."

"I have- he doesn't believe me..." I reply before eating a little or the soup. I had been waiting for it to cool.

She was listening to I assume Bruno and whoever he was talking to, then she says, "Ah your right... he doesn't... he thinks it has to do with your gift... headaches... nosebleeds?"

I blush and say, "yeah.. makes sense... who's he talking to?"

"Hm... no one. I wonder if he's talking to a spirit... maybe your mother? Or Abuela?" Dolores replies

I shake head, "my mother makes sense but not Abuela..."

Dolores nods before yawning and blushing, then she replies, "Goodnight Atlas... try to get some rest..."

I nodded and she left. After she was gone I quickly and hungrily at the rest of my soup. I instantly started to feel better and then I sighed and said, "Dolores. Who made this soup?"

I heard giggling in the hallway and I shook my head, Julieta, Dolores, and Bruno must've planned this. I slipped out of bed befoer seeing Gloria walking across the bridge. She looked disappointed once she got over to me. She hands me a stuffed animal and I took it gently before she says, "¿Cómo estás mejor?" (How are you better?)

"Dolores and Bruno tricked me into eating a soup that Tia Julieta made..." I replied

Gloria nods before putting her hand on my shoulder and saying, "Bueno, supongo que de todos modos no estaba haciendo mucho..." (well, I guess I wasn't doing much anyways...)

I smile and say, "I do enjoy your gifts though..."

She smiles and nods before asking, "¿Por qué no estás descansando?" (Why aren't you resting?)

"I've been up coughing all night and now I'm restless... I think I'm going to take a walk... plus if Tia Julieta is in the kitchen cooking I might be able to convince her to make me something. I am starving..." I reply

Gloria nods cupping my face in her hands and kissing my forehead. I blush and giggle, "Mama... I'm a little old for this don't you think..."

She smiles and shakes her head, "Siempre serás mi niña... Necesito ponerme en marcha de todos modos... Tu Abuela quería hablar conmigo..." (You will always be my little girl... I need to get going anyways... Your Abuela was wanting to speak with me... )