26

smile

smile.

" smile. "

    It was two days after the incident with your brother. The body was found, but he wasn't accused of being a suspect. Not yet. Who would ever blame an herbivore for devouring their own kind? A weak, powerless fragile hare wouldn't do such a thing, apparently.

   Dorin came home only and hour after you did that day. He excused himself by saying,

   "I was making up a test and didn't get to each lunch, so I got something to eat before coming home."

   You both barely spoke to each other. It was tense during dinners. The teeth he used to chew on veggies and fruits were strong enough to bite a chunk of meat off another animal. He didn't even have fangs...

   "Hey, (Y/N)." He knocked at your door. "Mom told me she wants to play chutes and ladders with you."

   "...well why can't she tell me herself?"

   "(Y/N). She's seven months pregnant."

"...oh."

   "Did something happen with Dorin, hun?"

   You rolled the die and moved 5 spaces from where you were. You landed on a ladder. "Uh- no... why?"

   She rolled a 6. "It's just that you two have been a bit distant lately. "

   You rolled a 3, landing on yet another ladder. You always had the luck to make it to the finish line before anyone else. "... he can be scary, sometimes."

   She rolled a 4, landing on a ladder. "I know, (Y/N). He is your big brother after all. The older siblings will always scare you, whether or not they mean to."

   "And sometimes, they'll smile when they're doing it. That's when they mean it, and that's... that's terrible."

—————

   "I-I'm sorry, I really don't know what came over me! I couldn't control myself and-"

   "You had a pleasured smile on your stupid face, Legoshi. Your instincts are still you. I can't cut the head off a snake and only take the rest."

—————

   "Mom?"

   "Yes, dear? I'm listening."

   You rolled a 6, but landed on a chute. It went down to the first square on the board.

   "Do hares... eat meat?"

   "Why would you ask such a thing? We're herbivores, (Y/N), of course we wouldn't..."

   You see, in the real world, our world, hares will scavenge. They will eat whatever pleases them and their protein, even if it means eating their own kind. They will eat a carcass of a predator, if they want it that badly.

   Also. Your mother's grandfather was a fucking lion. rip that pussy.

   Only a week after did authorities storm inside the house and take your brother away. Did you feel any remorse? Of course you did. He's always been there for you. You screamed when they drove away with him. You cried desperately for him to come back, but nothing would work.

   And your father?

   He did the same. Even if it was only in his sleep.

 Even if it was only in his sleep