Chapter 10

Levi's P.O.V

It's been a several months since (y/n) left with Lilliana. That whole time all I did was work to take my mind off them. During that time, we had visitors from Marley arrive. Two particular soldiers were quick to turn on their comrades and agree to meet with us. Her name was Yelena and she was freakishly tall for a woman.

It turns out Marley is much more advanced than us when it comes to technology and weaponry.

"Ooh, so this is why you can shoot so many bullets." Hange marvelled over the pistol she was inspecting.

"Those are just standard issue. The Marleyan army is comprised of fifty divisions, each made up of twenty thousand troops. That comes out of a million soldiers in total. Then there's the Marleyan navy. It's divided into three fleets, with twenty-one battleships each. Marley's been developing new weapons too. They're making strides in the fields of aerial warfare." Yelena explained.

"Aerial?" Hange wondered.

I kicked her leg.

"Tch. Keep it together or they'll think we're weak." I mumbled to her.

"I know that!" She blurted.

"In other words, they're making flying ships, which can avoid walls by attacking from the sky." The man known as Onyankopon explained. I haven't seen anyone with skin as dark as his before.

"Huh?! They'll attack from the sky?!" Hange blurted out, standing to her feet.

"Hange." I spoke.

"If Marley truly has the kind of military capabilities you just described to us, why haven't they sent an invasion force in the past year? Tell me." Hange questioned.

"There are two primary reasons. The first is the pure titans Marley released here. They pose a serious threat to land force. Even if that force is armed with the latest weaponry. They were originally taken here to keep you Eldians confined within your walls, but in more recent times, they've served as Eldia's first line of defence." Yelena explained.

"You don't say? Well, isn't that funny?" I commented.

"But it'll be morning shortly, and day is when titans become active. Which tells me that if we're still here, sipping tea in the wilderness beyond the walls, you must have killed all the pure titans that were roaming around. Is my assessment correct?" Yelena asked.

"And what if it is? You gonna take that intel back to Marley?" I questioned.

"Never. It's amazing. I am in awe." She replied.

"So what's the second reason?" Hange asked.

"Marley is occupied. It's at war with an alliance of several other nations. It can't be bothered to deal with Paradis now. You defeated the Warrior unit: the pride of Marley. And in doing so, you stripped Marley of two of its best weapons: The colossal and female titan. Marley is a nation with many enemies. Once they saw that you'd left them in a weakened state, they quickly joined as one and declared war." Yelena explained.

"I'm guessing that your troop infiltrated the Marleyan army because you have some sort of grudge against it. Are you undercover agents from some of the nations that Marley's conquered?" Hange asked.

They were silent.

"Oh! So I'm right! If you're willing to go up against Marley, then you must be working with some seriously powerful backers!" Hange mentioned.

"Sorry to disappoint, but we're not agents or anything of the sort. We were utterly powerless. Marley took our homes and conscripted us into its army. The hope that we could eventually strike back faded more every day. That is, until we met him." Yelena paused for a moment.