Chapter 23

"So when he says he has eyes everywhere, do you think he has cameras installed or something? That would mean Josie's room too. And my house. And in here," Julia says. "Yeah," Igor says looking around. My room? He watches me sleep? That would mean the woods too. Probably in trees or something. "Girls, there was something I needed to tell you," Igor states. "But not in here. Come out to the garage for a second. There aren't cameras in there, I'm positive."
We follow him through a busted door and into a dimly lit garage. He has an old, rusty pickup truck. Ashley leans against a mirror and it falls off. She picks it up quickly and apologizes. I forgot how scary this guy can be.
"So wassup?" Ashley asks. "Well here's the thing. Have I helped you at all?" He says. "Yeah, why?" Julia asks. "Because that's what I wanted to do. But I told you before that I've done terrible things. I, um, how do I put this? I've been on the run. It started off when I was in Oregon. I was coming to visit Gary and......I got arrested. Then I fought against the police and was supposed to spend two years in jail. I-I broke out. And yesterday this guy saw me at Hangers and recognized me. He called the cops. They've been looking for me for about three years." I can't believe what I'm hearing. Yet somehow I admire how sneaky he is not to be caught after all this time. He continues,"That's why I changed my name a while ago. They've been looking for Brian Cripton this whole time. So I changed to Igor Simon, which I personally like better. That guy followed me home. He gave the police my license plate number and my address. I wanted to know if I helped you because-" I know what he's going to say before the words come out of his mouth. "Because I have to leave. And I didn't want to be helpless." As soon as he finishes saying this, I hear sirens. He looks up. "I have to go. I'll keep in touch with you though. I'll see how you're doing and keep me updated." I feel uncomfortable as he pulls us into a tight embrace. Then he slings a backpack over his shoulder and runs out the side door.
At first I process everything that just happened. His short goodbye and explanation. But then I have bigger problems. The police are in the driveway. We are in a criminal's house.
And we're in Detroit. An hour away from home.
Ashley seems to be having the same thoughts. She suddenly jumps up. "Come on," she says. But instead of running out the side door, she goes through the house. Julia and I stand frozen in our places. "Trust me," Ashley says. We slowly follow her through the house to the front door. Following her lead, we jump over the porch railing and run to the abandoned house next door.
"Here's the plan. I'm going to pretend I live here. I'll be his neighbor and I hate him. I'll say he went that way," she says, pointing in the opposite direction that he actually went. "Got it?" Julia and I nod. Ash is a good actor so this will be easy for her. "Brilliant," I say. "Genius," Julia says.
Ash does as planned and the stupid cops fall for it. They jump in their cars and take off in the wrong direction. Then we go back into the house. "So, how do we get home?" Julia asks. I take out my phone. But wait. I never told my mom I was coming here. Do you know how bad she'll kill me? Like a miracle, something catches my eye. The words "QUICK GETAWAY" is written on a ripped piece of paper in messy handwriting. I pick it up and without thinking, dial the number written below.
If my mom found out I was in Detroit, you don't even know what would happen! I thank the cab driver after he drops me off at home. Apparently, Igor/Brian was friends with the driver, so I didn't have to pay anything.
I change into pajamas and climb into bed. But then I have a troubling thought. There are cameras in here. I take my blankets and pillows to the hallway and sleep out there.

Right now, I'm on my way to the Smokey Mountains. We are in Detroit right now lol! Gtg! Bye!