Chapter 11

The document is gone.
We all stand there for a few seconds with shocked looks on our faces.
Then we look everywhere. I search the chest and see if it's underneath the chest or behind it. Ashley checks underneath the couch. I forgot to mention that we made this place like a little house. It has a mini refrigerator and a few chairs. We have a large couch as well. How did we afford all of this? We didn't even buy this. This furniture was out on the curb in someone's front yard. We cleaned it up and everything. We also have one of those plug in heaters. Since this is a bunker, it only has one outlet. Surprisingly, it always stays warm in here.
Anyways, Ashley checks under the couch, in the cushions, and in between every little crack. Julia checks everywhere outside, in case it blew out or something. (Not that it would somehow get out of the chest, blow up the stairs and through the locked door. But it's still good to check).
Julia comes inside with a tear streaming down her cheek. Ashley looks up from the couch and shakes her head. I can't help it. I start to cry.
I haven't cried in a LONG time. I don't know if I've ever cried. But all of a sudden my cheeks start to burn. I feel my eyes water up. I put my head in my hands. I try to hide my face.
Julia pats my back. "Josie it's okay...." She trails off though because everybody knows it's not okay. "Guys I'm gonna point out the obvious. The document didn't just go missing. Someone stole it. We have to get it back. Remember when we figured out that newspaper article? We wouldn't have found this place and the document if we weren't smart enough to figure out that newspaper. So we are smart enough to track down whoever took the document and steal it back."
Yeah that does sound really encouraging. But we have no clues. I look up from my hands and casually wipe away at my tears. "We don't have any clues who did this though," I say sadly. "Yes we do. See that?" She asks. She points at the floor right in front of the door. There's a boot print. A VERY large boot. I walk over and measure it with my hands. It's about the size of both of my hands. Whoever made this was a giant!
All we have to do is find an enormous person. But it might not be easy. "Guys, we're gonna have to go Cinderella style here. We have this one clue to finding whoever could ruin our lives. We have to hunt them down!" I feel so like, motivated!
"Let's go then," Ashley says. We look at Julia. "Guys I'm going to tell my mom that I can't go to gymnastics today," she says, in a both nervous and excited tone.
We sprint out of the bunker and make sure to lock the door tight. As I shut the door, I notice a paper stuck in it. I grab it with hope that it could be another clue. It's from Walmart. "Guys look at this," I say. Someone bought a huge sack of fertilizer.
With those clues, our search is on.