End.

07. COUP DE GRACE

"Can you open this bag of chips?" you tossed it towards him who's sitting on the edge of the bed across from you. One of his legs tucked on his chest and the other hanged.

He opened the bag swiftly and patted the space next to him, "Come get this."

"Just toss it back."

"What? Do you want all of it to make a mess on your sheet?"

You sighed, picking yourself who's buried on the thick blanket to crawl beside him, immediately snatching the chip on his hand.

The male chuckled, draping his arm around you and planting a soft kiss on your temple. "What do you want to do today?"

"I want to laze around. Seriously, the whole two weeks we've been running around and I exhausted my battery. I want to lay down and sleep."

It was probably the answer he expected since you woke up later than him and didn't even bother eating breakfast, instead you woke up already past noon and only played with your phone.

Ran twirls some strand of your hair in his finger, "You sure?"

Without even a second thought, you nodded, chomping on the potato chip. Ran took his phone again and scrolled, the social media sites starting to have more and more glitches and from time to time, it'll lose connection.

"We have exactly 21 hours left."

"Oh," looking up from your lashes to look at Ran's face. there's not much of an emotion to be seen in it. Sometimes his expressions are readable as well as his thoughts, but there are also times where his thin pursed lips and purple eyes leave you in the dark.

"Are you okay?" he turned to face you, moving his arm away from your shoulder to lift your chin up, forcing you to lock eyes with him. "Are you ready? no regrets?"

You avert your gaze for a second and bring it back again quickly, a smile forming on your lips. "Maybe if we didn't meet in that cafe, I would have a lot of regrets, crying on my pillow as the world caves in."

But was meeting him there really a coincidence?

"Me too, y/n. If you don't agree to love me, I'm probably drowning myself in alcohol and drugs."

Or was it fate?

In response to him, you put down the bag of chips and moved to face him completely, cold palms cupping his face. "I'm glad we're both happy now. Not many humans achieve total happiness within a small amount of time. The most precious thing that will happen to me in this lifetime is to die with you and without regrets. Thank you, Ran."

"Thank you too, y/n."

"Is it cold?" Ran asked as you slowly rubbed your eyes, just waking up from your deep sleep.

You pushed your blanket off, sweat trickling down on your forehead, "No, rather than cold, don't you feel it's getting too warm here? The aircon not working?"

He looked at the aircon's direction, then both of you realized that the lights were out. No electricity.

"The lights are out."

You squinted, forcing yourself to sit up but ran pulled you back, hugging you despite the hot atmosphere. His skin was too warm but it gave you some sort of soothing.

"What time is it?"

"An hour before—" you really didn't have to let him finish, hugging him back with the same intensity, burying your face on his chest.

For some time now, he smelled like home. A home that will follow you wherever you go. A home that will lend his shoulder no matter how heavy your burden is.

What a shame. You ran out of time to fully love him.

In the background, as both of you hold each other in between your arms, a static sound could be heard. Coming from Ran's low battery phone.

"People, this is an automated message for everyone listening. I hope you're happy now and have no regrets. I hope you're holding your loved ones in your arms and I hope you've already kissed them goodbye because the meteors will land at any given moment. Let's all see each other in another life—"

The static ended when an eruption happened. Meteors larger than a whole apartment complex landing on every corner of earth, creating large craters and slowly breaking the world apart.

Ran embraced you tighter, placing his lips near your ears. "I love you, y/n."

With a lone tear on your eyes, you responded, "I love you, Ran."

And as both of you lied to your hearts, the world crumbled, leaving everything to dust.

And that was your coup de grace.

"And cut! Good work everyone!"