Six.

06. BURNED

Silence was offered on top of the circular table. Rindou and her girlfriend, Yuna, sat on the other side while you and Ran sat on the other.

There was bile on your throat that no matter how hard you swallow, it seems that you can't get rid of it. You grabbed the hem of your skirt, squeezing and tugging at them to release your nerve.

"Never thought I'll get to see you again. It's just sad that it's in a situation like this," Rindou started, picking up his cup of coffee.

With a bittersweet smile, you lifted your gaze. "No, that's fine. If not for this situation, I won't be seeing you ever again."

Ran's hand found its way to your lap, squeezing your leg as if to calm you down. Maybe because all your emotions are pouring in and watering out all of a sudden, after all those months that you ignored and held it in.

Well, you really thought you forgot about him. You really thought that you were so fine that you let him go, but in all honesty, you're not.

"Yuna, let's give them some space to talk, shall we?" Ran managed to say, standing up and motioning Rindou's girlfriend to come with him.

But before she left, she tapped Rindou's shoulder and whispered something to his ear. "I'll be right there, Rin."

After they left, the silence became heavier. If you focus a little bit more, even your heart beat could already be heard.

"I heard from Ran that you have something to tell me?"

You decided not to look at his face anymore, because a little more and you'll break and the pain that you thought never existed will swallow you whole.

"Before that, could I ask you something first?"

"Of course, ask away, Y/n."

"Are you happy? Were you happy?"

"...hm?"

The lump was becoming a lot more uncomfortable, it pushes on the walls of your throat forcing a weird feeling that you want to throw up.

"Were you happy when you were with me?"

It took less than a second for him to release a chuckle, the cup clanking on the table as he placed it down. "I was, Y/n. I really was."

Hearing him say the words you never knew you needed made the corner of your eyes burn. You lifted your gaze and took the risk to look at him.

He was smiling, it was a very rare sight because Rindou was never really fond of smiling. He'll only smile when he's fighting or when he's bragging, but right now it was a very genuine smile.

You melted right at that moment, at that seat.

"Then, are you even more happy right now? Because I really do hope so."

He leaned on his seat, crossing his arm over his chest. "Y/n, that time when you told me that you wanted out, I was pretty surprised. At first I didn't want to let you go, but at that very instance, I realized that I'm being selfish. Maybe you really wanted that space so I gave you up. Then when I met Yuna, I felt really bad about myself because I came to figure out why you broke up with me."

Rindou ruffled his hair, "Thank you. I was happy with you, but I'm happier now."

Damn. It hurts but knowing that he's fine and happy should do. That's fine. Those words might not be the healing that you needed but it could serve as a bandage.

That will do.

You chuckled, "Well then, I hope you spend your remaining time wisely."

"Likewise, Y/n. Oh, and take care of my brother."

-

"What did you talk about?" Ran asked while he sat on the hood of the car, hands buried inside the front pocket of his gray hoodie.

"The past. It's all that cheesy talk Ran, you don't need to hear how teeth rotting that was."

He laughed, turning his head to look at you. Eyelashes were slightly damp. "Well, I hope you're okay now."

"I'm relieved more than okay. By the way, thank you for letting me meet him."

He extended his hand to mess your hair, sighing as he looked into the abandoned building in front of you. "I'm glad. Yuna looked like a sweet girl, too. But you're better."

"Don't compare me to his girlfriend. And you- did you tell Rindou what you're supposed to tell him?"

Ran tilted his head, taking the lighter out of his pocket, "Yeah. He laughed really hard and I have never seen him laugh that loud in a very long time. I guess he's really happy now."

"...How about we find our happiness, too?"

The male flicked the lighter on, the tiny flame flickering. "Last one on our list?"

A grin plastered on your lips, "Commit arson."

"But how did you know that there's an abandoned building here?"

You hopped towards the building, the walls are already almost covered with vines and moss. Some of the concrete already crumbled.

"Me and Rindou used to drive around here and we saw this building. It's really abandoned and some people even treat it as a haunted house, but the owner just disliked the style and moved away."

"Hmm, that's a shame. This is still home."

You stood in front of Ran and took the lighter in his hand, "Sorry to break your drama ass but it can't be called a home if it doesn't hold any memory. Now go get those gas on the car."

Everything and everywhere reeked of gasoline.

You wiped your sweat as you looked at the wet floor and the tumbled canister of gasoline on the floor.

"Should I light it up?"

"Definitely."

The both of you moved a few meters away before Ran finally threw the lighter on the floor. Fire immediately spread throughout the floor, igniting everything the gas touched.

As it became bigger and bigger, you stared in awe. The flame going up and up and turning everything into a black smoke.

Ran's arms were around your waist as his cheek rested on top of your head. "Ahh, we've completed our bucket list. Why does it feel weirdly satisfying?"

You looked up at him, eyebrows knitted, "We worked hard for this. It's kind of sad since all we have to do now is wait for our doom."

"Oh right," he snapped, taking his phone out to look at the digital countdown all over the world. "There's only two days left."

"Wow, everything burned that fast."

"Well, are you starting to fall for me?" he winked, pulling you closer. Both of you smelled like gasoline.

"If you want me to lie, then yes."