One.

01. ENDING

"This is an emergency- but do not be alarmed everyone," the reporter chuckled then followed by a stream of tears flowing recklessly down her cheeks. "Based on the new information uploaded by NASA, the meteorites are predicted to hit earth within the next 332 hours- roughly two weeks."

You pulled your socks up to your knees, tying your hair up with a blue pencil. Once you glanced at the glitching television screen, you heaved a sigh.

"Just a reminder, everyone. Do whatever you desire during our remaining days here on earth. Spend your time wisely. This channel will now turn into a countdown. goodbye everyone." Then the screen turned on a digital countdown clock, the number of hours dropping.

"I guess that's really it," you giggled, turning it off then grabbing your car keys before running out of your house. This time, you didn't even bother to lock your front door.

It's futile anyways. To keep your precious things with you, your mortal possessions.

-

"No! there must be some kind of mistake!" a woman was screaming on top of her lungs inside a coffee shop where you're just peacefully drinking a cup of macchiato, staring outside the window, watching people walk by with different kinds of expressions.

Some are sad that the world is ending. Happy, maybe just spreading positivity because life is already unfair, what do you even expect. And some are in denial, like the woman in the cafe.

There are still some people who couldn't accept the fate bestowed to humanity. You all are humans after all. Mortals. You're meant to end and dissipate into ash and nothingness.

You tried to silence the noise around you concentrating at your own train of thoughts, the sound of your calm breathing and the gradual fast pace of your heart beat. It somehow created its own rhythm- until you heard footsteps approaching you.

"Y/n?"

It was a familiar voice together with the whisper of the wind coming from the opened cafe door. You slowly lifted your gaze, only to meet purple eyes. Eyelashes shadowing the remaining shine on his orbs.

"Haitani... Ran?"

"Oh, you remembered," he breathed, pulling the chair in front of you before finally sitting down, placing his own cup of coffee on the small table.

"Of course, we have known each other for quite a while and you're someone worth remembering." You smiled, taking a sip of your macchiato.

"I'm glad I remained in your memory after...after all those things happened."

"Things?" you raised a brow, then images of the past flashed on your mind, "Ah! About me and Rindou? Nah, I already accepted that and moved on."

"Really? Then, have you been in contact with him lately?"

"Hmm, kind of but not really. But I know he already found someone new, probably better than me." An awkward smile curved on your lips when ran only stared at you intently, shaking his head in disagreement.

"No, don't say that, Y/n."

"...Why? I saw her pictures- their pictures, I mean. Rindou seemed so happy with her, he seemed a lot more sweet and soft. He never smiled or looked at me that way. I guess it was for the best."

"But are you happy?"

You and Rindou broke up a long time ago, probably 5 months prior to the announcement of the end of the earth. It was not a painful and complicated break up like any other couple who found themselves crying under their sink at 3 am.

In fact it was a bit like giving space and letting each other breathe. Like you've freed yourself out of a loveless and slightly toxic relationship. It was a mutual understanding of each other's pain and worries.

The two of you broke up not because you fell out of love but because the both of you lacked the love. It wasn't enough. But it doesn't mean that you weren't hurt by the separation- it hurts, but that's it.

"I am."

Ran averted his gaze and focused it outside the cafe where people passing by can be seen. Some panicked but some were still living at their own pace, just like haitani ran.

What is the point of panicking and being lonely at this point? After all, it's just fair since everyone will experience the same thing. Everyone and everything.

The Haitani lifted his cup, placing it near his lips before taking a glance at you.

"Do you have any plans before we disappear?"

You looked at him and your eyes met, "How about you?"

"I asked first, Y/n."

As you bite your lower lip, you raked your gaze all over him. It had just been a few months since you'd last seen him but you can't deny that he had gotten tons of upgrades again, from his body to his face.

"I wanted to fall in love again, actually. But given the limited time left, nah, I'd rather just lay down on my bed."

He chuckled, placing down his cup to direct all his attention to you. "Fall in love? Why that, of all things?"

"I don't know? Maybe because I felt lonely. I never had anyone after your brother. I wanna get laid too." You grumbled making Ran laugh from your bold announcement.

"Do you have any prospects? I mean, do you like someone right now?"

"No. I just can't find someone who's willing to understand my immature side and accept me for who I am. Even Rindou had a hard time understanding me."

Ran licked his lower lips, amused by all the things coming out of your mouth, "Then, how about me?"

"Huh?"

"How about falling in love with me within the last two weeks?"

Your mouth fall agape, stupidly looking at ran like he's some out of this world creature. "With you?"

"With me." His grin almost curving up to his eyes. There was a mix of cockiness in everything he did and it's not looking good for you because it's just his strong point.

His overconfidence is surprisingly attractive and addictive.

"What made you come up with that?"

"I could help you, after all I don't have any plans."

"What? Really? You don't?"

Ran's eyebrows furrowed, he leaned against the sturdy table, face inching closer to yours. "Actually, I also want to know how it feels to be loved. Can you show me?"

"Huh? Huh?!" You shot up from your seat, startling the other customers but who cares. "What do you mean you want to know what it feels to be loved?! Didn't you have a girlfriend? Don't you already have a lot of experience?"

"That's just flings and that's different."

"Flings," you repeated what he just said, sitting back down on your chair. "You mean all those pretty girls are just to warm your bed?"

And as an answer, he smirked. "Nailed it."

"Oh my freaking heck. What an asshole." You shook your head, couldn't believe that he's actually a player, no, some kind of a whore.

"What? They asked for it. I'm also just a fling to them. And don't change the topic, so would you try to fall in love with me, or not?"

In confusion, you abruptly scratched your nape. "Aside from love, what can you offer?"

That's when the side of his lips curved up, eyes lighting up like thousands of fireworks exploded. "You said you wanna get laid. I'm good at it."

Fuck.

That was supposed to be a joke. This time, you blushed, cupping your cheeks with your sweating palms.

"Better than Rindou?"

"Ah, this isn't the time to compare me to my younger brother, is it?"

You laughed, easing up to him. It wasn't so bad meeting Haitani Ran again.

"Fine, let's fall in love then."