Epilogue: The Future

Začít od začátku

It wasn't long, about a ten-minute walk, before the two of them approached the local park. They reached the same spot as always, a secluded spot next to a large tree and close to the playground. There didn't seem to be any kids at the park today, the area almost quiet and serene. He grabbed a checkered picnic blanket out of his backpack, laying it out nicely before sitting on it. Yeonjun followed suit, sitting next to Soobin and wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

"I wonder if anyone's coming today?" Yeonjun began looking around as if he was expecting someone. When he saw two familiar figures in the distance, he began waving as if the two boys could see him.

Beomgyu and Taehyun were in the distance, Beomgyu almost pulling Taehyun along in excitement. After getting closer to Soobin and Yeonjun, Taehyun began waving excitedly in their direction, as if he was picking up on Yeonjun's energy. Once reaching the blankets, both boys sat down. They weren't exactly across from the other two, wanting to be sure they left room on the blanket for others.

"Glad you two could make it." Soobin smiled, his dimples accentuated as Yeonjun moved to hold Soobin's hand.

"Well, since we missed it last week, we knew we couldn't miss it again."

Soobin had decided to create these weekly visits in the park not just to catch up with Taehyun and Beomgyu but to also talk with anyone stuck in purgatory. He decided that he should use his ability to help those like Yeonjun who may feel stuck or for those who may never pass on.

It's been almost three years since he started this tradition, only having met those with blue and yellow auras. After having met some of those in purgatory and talking with them, he found how much it meant for them to interact with someone who could translate to the living. And ever since then, he's had some people coming to these weekly get-togethers ever since.

Just as the conversation started heating up, Soobin noticed a couple people approaching the picnic blanket, Soobin smiling as he waved at them. When Beomgyu and Taehyun turned around to look, they couldn't see anyone, causing Beomgyu to sigh.

"Man, I wish I could see everyone that you can, Soobin. I always feel rude, since I can't react to them at all."

An older woman with a younger child sat down next to Taehyun. It was obvious that Taehyun was picking up on their recognizable energy, the two of them having come to these picnics often while Taehyun was present.

Just as the two of them sat down, another figure came into view, quietly sitting down next to Soobin. It was a boy that looked to be about Soobin's age, the boy always quiet and shy. Soobin smiled but couldn't help but feel bad for the boy.

Since these three people stuck in purgatory had been coming to these weekly meetings for a long time, Soobin was able to learn a lot about them. The mother and child had been stuck in a house fire, unable to get out in time. They both had a blue aura, waiting for their time to move on.

The boy was disowned by his family for something he had yet to disclose to Soobin, causing him to have a yellow aura. Soobin's heart strings tugged for the boy, knowing that he'd be stuck here forever if not given some type of ceremony to move on. Soobin had offered to perform a ceremony, but the boy refused to give information on where his gravesite was. Soobin knew it must be in the area, knowing he couldn't go too far from where he passed, but he decided not to pry, waiting until the boy would approach him about it.

They had been there for hours, the living snacking on food while everyone, both alive and dead, talked about what was going on in their lives. Beomgyu and Taehyun had moved in together, Beomgyu being a psychologist for adults and school children while Taehyun worked as a researcher for a chemical company. It wasn't until the sun started setting that Soobin decided to wrap everything up.