a v e r y

THE REST OF THE SEMESTER passes by in a blur. My professors spent the final week giving us assignment after assignment and test after test before they concluded our final classes with the best of wishes for those of us sticking next semester and to those travelling over winter break.

Dean and I have barely spoken this entire week, only seeing each other when nightfall hit and having to say goodbye when the sun came up. He had more exams than I did and had to spend every single day in the library or in a study session around campus, to both of our dismay.

We have yet to have the chance to talk about winter break and my flight leaves tonight.

There is a slight knock on the door. Dean peers from behind it, one of his hands firmly wrapped around the metal knob as it moves open with a creak. As his body completely reaches my end of the door, he closed it behind him and leans his body against the auburn wood. His shoulders rest against the surface, his feet slightly outstretched forward, and his ankles crossing over one another. His arms come forward as he crosses them over his chest, his white t-shirt rippling against his torso as he does so.

He watches me watch him, with that smile on his face.

"Dean, don't be creepy." I say, breaking the silence.

He lets out a small chuckle as he pushes himself off the door and moves further into my room. "Hello to you too."

He steps around where I was sitting on the ground and around the suitcase of mine that was wide open for the world to see, his sneakers scoffing against the floors. He lowers himself on to the ground next to me, not letting a moment pass before he lifts me up and sets me back down on to his lap. He wraps his arms around my waist, resting his head in the crook of my neck and kissing the spot that he knows that love all too much.

"How was your last exam?" I ask.

"Good," he says against my skin. "Happy for the semester to be done with."

He removes his head from my neck and just holds me while I continue to pack my suitcase jammed pack of more things than I will probably need.

"Are you happy to be going home?"

"Yes," I nod. "I'm gonna miss you, though. I wish you could come."

"Why can't I?" He asks like its nothing.

I lean to the side and meet his gaze. "Dean...you're family—"

"My family can have us both next year," he smiles. "What do you say, Avy? Wanna let me show me around your hometown? Make out in your old bedroom?"

I throw my head back in laughter and he joins me. When I look back at him, his eyes are wide and full of love, I can only imagine that mine look the same.

"I'm warning you now, Millie is not as good a cook as your mom," I say. "If she offers you anything politely decline."

He nods his head with a smile. "Good to know."

Dean remains sitting behind me as I finish packing for the next hour, occasionally pecking the side of my neck and folding the clothes that were scattered around us. He then follows the zipper around the perimeter of the suitcase while I sit on top of it after we shortly realized that it wouldn't be able to close otherwise.

Dean takes a hold of the handle of my suitcase with one hand, and my hand in the other as we turn off the lights and make our way out of the dorm room that we wouldn't step foot in for the next two weeks. We walk towards the elevator side by side, passing the sea of people that were in a frenzy to say goodbye to their friends, pack enough underwear, and ensure that their straighteners were unplugged.