Chapter 66 (with smut-scene)

"Time for dinner," Zack shouted from the kitchen.

Aleks was curled up on the sofa in a fetal position, with the tears silently running down his cheeks.

"Not hungry," he sniffled. Zack didn't know what to do. Then he felt the vibration of magic. A portal opened and a visibly shaken demon emerged from it. Thank God. He couldn't handle this any longer.

"I'm going to go shopping," he said and left the apartment.

Aleks felt it the moment Belial set his foot in the living room. But he stayed put. Waited. He didn't dare to connect with him mentally, he was afraid of his anger, his rejection. He couldn't stand rejection any further. He heard Belial walk up to the sofa. Then he heard a rustle and looked up.

Belial was kneeling in front of him looking down at the ground. Saying nothing. Aleks sat up.

"Tsuka." That's all he could get out. He didn't know where to start.

"For everything I have said and done, I ask for your forgiveness. I beg you, no, I'm pleading to you to come back to me."

That was it. He had said it. Why wasn't he answering? Silence.

"No."

Horror was brewing within Belial. Had he just rejected the apology? He couldn't breathe. I lost him. No. I'd rather die. He grabbed his chest in panic and tried to breathe.

"Bel. Look at me."

Trembling, he raised his face and looked into the eyes of his heart. He had deep shadows under his eyes, and they were red and swollen. His cheeks looked hollow, pale, without the otherwise enchanting shade of red. But the worst thing was his gaze. Empty.

"I don't want to hear that from you, and you know that." If not that, then what?

"What then?" Pause.

"I made a mistake that I can't make up for. From the beginning, you were my salvation. My light. You are my world – not hell. I'm sorry I didn't ask even once what you wanted. I'm sorry I didn't ask once if you missed your home."

"None of that was important. I voluntarily went with you, and I enjoyed every second of living by your side. But obviously, you never saw me as your partner. I know I am physically inferior to you. But mentally, I'm not. In a partnership, we both are always on an equal footing. We consult, we argue, and we forgive each other. But you don't see me that way and I can't bear that," his mate said, and it broke his heart.

"Cent-", Belial broke off. He couldn't make excuses again. No. Aleks was simply right.

"That's why I don't want you to beg or plead to me. I don't want you to kneel," he said, standing up and kneeling in front of Belial as well. Tenderly, he put both hands on his face.

"I love you and always want to be by your side. But as mates, partners, equal but nothing less."

Belial took Aleks' hand and kissed his palm.

"I will do my best, I will change. It won't be easy, and you'll have to rebuke me often, but I want to become the mate you deserve," he said in a low voice. "You are my heart. Only you give me meaning. Can you forgive me?"

Yes.

Three letters. And suddenly he could breathe. For the first time in days, he felt warmth in his body, felt the love of his beloved. Tsuka, you mean more to me than the world, more than my life.

Never before had both of them felt this intimate. Tenderly, Aleks drew his demon to him and kissed him. A tingling sensation ran down his body, and he came to life. He had been dead for the past three days. Gently his tongue penetrated Belial's mouth, caressing his.