Chapter 65

Three days passed without much activity. Aleks was more of a zombie at this point. Even though he acted to be strong in front of Zack, he felt empty.

Zack told him of treasure hunts to distract him, but he only listened half-heartedly. He hardly had an appetite and couldn't sleep. He missed his second half, his contact, the warmth, even his damn voice. It felt like someone had ripped his heart out.

He tried to distract himself with various training sessions that pushed him to the limit. But the apartment that had previously been his home now felt bare and empty. No, it was never my home. I only have one home. After twenty-five years, he had finally found it. He had always been alone before.

Every night Aleks woke up screaming with sweat-soaked skin and heavy breathing. Zack, who slept next to him, took him into his arms.

"Tacina," he said sadly, "I'm here. I'm with you, you're safe." Zack's touch made it better, but it wasn't the one Aleks craved. And again, the tears began to flow. His tears should have already dried up after he had cried so much. But apparently, it didn't work in this case. He had been separated from Belial for a day or two. It shouldn't have been a problem because he knew he would return to him.

This was different. He had deliberately left and yet his head was afraid of having lost his mate. It was completely irrational, but the physical and mental separation felt as if Belial had disappeared forever.

If Belial died, is this what he would feel? No wonder mates died together. He wouldn't have survived an hour. He would have followed him immediately. Was he dead? Did he leave me? Should I follow him? These thoughts haunted his mind.

He always woke up screaming. He kept dreaming of Belial being pierced by Rukia's sword and dying in his arms

Again and again, it woke him up. And every time Zack was by his side, calming him down. Aleks didn't want to sleep, but he had to. He couldn't survive without sleep. All he wanted was for these horrible nightmares to stop.

"Sleep, little child, sleep. The Father keeps the sheep. The mother shakes the trees, a little dream falls down. Sleep, the little child, sleep," his brother sang. That was the lullaby his grandmother used to sing to Zack when she took care of him. It calmed him down and he gradually fell asleep again. But his head had played a completely different melody.

Machine Gun Kelly sang in an emotional voice:

„Lonely, lonely, even when the room is full
I'd trade it, trade it, I would trade it all for you
Lonely, lonely, even when the room is full
I'm lonely, lonely, lonely without you."

Why did it clash so horribly? Belial didn't have a sister – did he? – and he didn't have a dad, but the rest fit. You devil, you lured me into your arms and now you just left me alone in an empty room. His eyes closed on their own and his breathing evened out.

Zack was worried that Aleks would collapse at this rate. He had offered Aleks his blood, but Aleks refused.

"Aleks. You should go back. The longer you stay away from him, the worse it'll get." He couldn't imagine what it was like for him.

Aleks looked at him and shook his head.

"Zack, if I give in, I will have to live in a golden cage all my life. As long as he doesn't recognize me as an equal, it won't be a relationship I would want to be in. Even if it tears me apart, he has to come to me," he said to his big brother. He clenched his fist. Bel, where are you?

Enough already!

Nero had spent three days watching his best friend turn into a shadow. He was hollow, emotionless, lifeless. He couldn't tolerate it anymore. Even though he had vowed never to interfere in Belial's relationship, he had to break that oath now. I can't watch it anymore.

Determined, he went to the meeting room, where his best friend was disinterestedly brooding over a few documents. He wasn't really reading them, his mind was elsewhere, he could see that. What are you actually doing to yourself? When he saw him like that, he was no longer sure if he wanted to resolve this mess...

Belial heard the door open but didn't pay attention. He had firmly expected that Aleks would come back after one, or at latest by the second day. The pain he felt from the separation was tremendous. It hollowed him out from within and turned him into an empty shell. But he didn't come. He won't come again. He had left me here alone forever.

"Bel. Go to him," Nero's voice tore him out of his thoughts. He looked at his friend. Nero had always respected his privacy. He had never crossed this line all these years. Why now?

"I know I'm not allowed to interfere. But I can't bear it anymore. I can't see you that way anymore. Either break the bond or go get him back."

Is he giving me an ultimatum? The bond cannot be dissolved, he is my heart.

Why did he even think about that? Quite simply, he couldn't stand it anymore. He was feeling both his and Aleksander's pain. He could barely sleep an hour without having nightmares about his tears and pain.

"Nero."

"No, nothing Nero. Go and get him, otherwise, I will drag you there personally," his friend interrupted.

"I can't go to him. He has to come to me."

Nero sighed.

"Belial, I know you don't want to hear it, but it isn't Aleksander's fault here, it's yours."

Belial looked at him as if he had punched him. Why would you stab me in the back, Nero?

Nero continued, "Since the moment Aleksander entered hell, he has done everything to be what you need. He has learned, trained, fought all customs. And he didn't even complain once."

"I know that! I didn't force him into this life," Belial shouted, hitting the table.

"I'm not done yet," Nero said in a calm voice.

Not finished yet? What's left?

"Did you even ask him once if he missed his home?"

What?

"He had left his home, work, his family, friends, everything behind for you. What did you do for him?"

The point hit home. Belial had never thought about Aleks giving up his life. He also had friends here, his brother was here, he was a healer. You're lying to yourself, and you know that.

Nero wasn't done yet.

"After all this, you threw the fact that he didn't belong to your world, nor do you consider him as your equal in his face. Do you even realize what you have done?"

Nero was filled with anger. He looked his best friend in the eyes and said, "You're the worst mate he could have gotten. Selfish, self-centered, blind, and with a shitty pride stuck up your ass! He's the best fucking thing that could have ever happened to you. I would go through every torment in the world to receive such a mate! You don't deserve him!"

Every word was like a blow in his gut. You know he's right about everything.

"What should I do?" he asked desperately.

"Throw away your damn pride and go to him. Beg for his forgiveness on your knees. And if you're lucky and he comes back to you, you'll never hurt him again," he said harshly.

Belial remained silent. Then he got up. Nero was right about everything. Then he turned around to leave.

"What are you up to?" his friend asked, who had cooled down a bit now.

"Throwing away my pride, even my life if I have to." With these words, Belial made his way into the human world.

________________________________

As you can see, none of this ends in one chapter. Let's hope Belial now understands what it means to be in a partnership.

Your Mouse Goddess

Music source:

Machine Gun Kelly - lonely (Official Visualizer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AJ6EI3uda4