Chapter 28

A pressure on his left hand made him look up. Next to him stood Belial, who searched their surroundings with a serious look.

Where are we?

Then the environment changed. In front of them sat a young woman with long, golden blonde hair, falling in waves over her back. She had light blue eyes that reminded Belial of Aleks' eyes. She wore a simple, light green dress that reached her knees. In her arms lay an infant, whom she lovingly cradled back and forth.

The baby laughed and played with her hair.

"My little sunshine, you are my greatest treasure," she said in a soft voice.

At the sound of this voice, Aleks felt a stab in his heart. He knew that voice.

"Esai, you will grow up to be a wonderful man. I know that," she said, kissing the child on the stomach. This caused the child to elicit a happy sound.

A tear ran over Aleks' face. Esai. The way the woman pronounced this word touched Aleks. It sounded exotic, a sound he had never heard before.

Then there was a knock on the door and the woman looked up. A 5-year-old boy with brown hair entered the room and ran to the woman. "Na, how is my Tacina doing?" he asked the woman.

"Yalo, our little Esai is doing well. But he is certainly glad that his big brother cares about him. Do you want to hold him?"

Enthusiastically, he sat down next to his mother on the bed and stretched out his hands. She placed the toddler, wrapped in a cloth, in his arms. The boy looked awestruck at the little bundle. "Don't worry your big brother will always protect you no matter what. How shall we name him, Na?"

The woman looked thoughtfully. She then brushed over the newborn's delicate blond hair and said: "Aleksander. You shall be called Aleksander."

Aleks' knees gave way. That is not possible. The surroundings began to blur and Belial and Aleks returned to the dark ceremonial room. Aleks' face was filled with tears, and he was shaking immensely.

Ariana ended the spell and the seal returned to Aleks' body. Exhausted, she leaned back. She got up and opened the curtains. Daylight flooded the room, and the candles were extinguished.

"Let's go into the common room and talk. The ground here isn't the most comfortable."

Belial and Aleks followed the demon, with Aleks not letting go of Belial's hand for even a second. They sat down in a large room with a seating area and a fireplace.

Aleks leaned on Belial, he needed his closeness at the moment. Ariana sat down with them, and another cat demon brought them fresh drinks. Aleks drank to give some relief to his dry throat since he was exhausted after the procedure – not only physically, but also mentally.

"What did you see?" she asked Aleks, who had been pulled into a gentle embrace by Belial.

"We saw a woman holding a newborn," Belial said.

Surprised, Ariana frowned. "You saw? Have you seen it too, Belial?" Belial nodded briefly.

It was not surprising that the two had some kind of connection through the bond they had made. But for it to be this strong after such a short time....

"Keep talking," she asked Belial.

"She was a tall slim woman with long, golden blonde hair and blue eyes. She was sitting on a bed, in a small room with barren furnishings, holding a child in her arms."

"That was my mother," Aleks, who had remained silent until now, said.

Belial and Ariana looked at him in surprise.