Second Tour

Satinette Manor

In the heart of the dense forest stood the royal family's hunting lodge, weathered by time and hidden from the world. It was a place of solitude and imprisonment, perfect for hiding the monster living within its walls in a world of solitude and imprisonment.

But for Iris, she called it home. She had grown up in the manor; her only companions the whispers of the wind, the runaway young ladies of the Second Knight Order, and the fleeting footsteps of the housekeepers who avoided her presence. The loud, consecutive bangs startled her awake, and the charred ceiling of the cellar served as a constant reminder of her true nature.

As she rose from her slumber, Iris felt the softness of the blanket and sleeping gown nestling her — a new record. She sat up, stretched her limbs, and folded the blanket. She climbed the stairs, her small arms wobbling as she pushed the heavy steel door open.

The manor itself was a labyrinth of forgotten rooms and concealed passageways, its former grandeur fading with each passing year. It once echoed with laughter, comparing the games on each hunt. But now, all that remained was a desolate and oppressive stillness that not even the housekeepers could dispel. But to a detestable child like her, it's more than she could ever deserve.

Her days were of monotony, the hours ticking by slowly as she wandered through the empty halls, her footsteps resounding in the oppressive silence. She was a prisoner in her own home, held captive by circumstances beyond her control.

Iris arrived at her favorite spot, a window overlooking the manor's gate and garden, breakfast already laid out on the table. She sat down and raised a spoonful. The coldness flared her lips as usual. One of the knights ran toward the gate, opening it. Knights of the Second Order bearing the white unicorn and yellow banner entered, accompanied by a group dressed in elaborate attire.

Iris' hands shuddered. She forced a breath out as the sight choked her. Slowly, deeply, gently, she controlled her breaths. Iris leaned back, shutting her eyes, and commanded the heaviness of each bone and muscle over her body. She was calm, at peace. Her lower lip departed from the top as air exhaled from her body.

The muffled footsteps turned sharp as the group appeared from the hallway. Three white-hooded mages surrounded Iris and slammed their staffs on the floor, the gems of the top end conjuring and conjugating a barrier around her. The central figure took a knee.

"Your Highness, the Prime Minister requests your cooperation."

"Who am I to welcome this time?"

"I regret to inform Your Highness that we ourselves do not possess that information. All we are told is that the meeting will take place in the Forest of No Return."

Iris gave the barest of a nod. Why did they always push this to her? Was she not cursed?

"We assure you, Your Highness, the Kingdom stands firmly behind you. Her Majesty has bestowed her blessings upon this endeavor."

Grandmother did?

"We shall leave you to make the necessary preparations. Captain Gardener and Vice Captain Zara will take charge of your escort."

And just like that, they departed without offering her a choice. Typical. The two knights remained. Seeing them, Iris smiled. Back then, Phyllis kept her light blonde hair short, always under her superior's shadow. But now she seemed to embrace some values of a noble hidden beneath a crown braid, brimming with experience. Beretta, the leonid, now stood upright and confident compared to the aspiring adventurer wanting to flee the confines of the village. They were happy. Iris wanted to believe it. But what about her?