Chapter Forty-One

I get home quickly so there is enough time for me to prepare for work the next day

I get home quickly so there is enough time for me to prepare for work the next day. I work in an office in marketing and sales.

I have been on break for the past three days because of a stomach flew I had. Luckily—it didn't transfer to Ink.

I stop in my tracks as I spot a figure sitting on my couch. I drop all of my things when he turns to look at me.

I place a shaking hand to my mouth.

"Leo," I whisper quietly.

It's unreal. I never expected to see him in person again. And he is pissed.

He stands up, his presence screaming power and pain. He stalks towards me slowly and I press my back against the front door. He stops in front of me and looks down with that familiar darkness.

"My sweet bird flew away from me," he says quietly, wrapping a hand around my throat.

"Why the fuck did you leave?" He asks, his tone low and grip tight. I gasp under his grip and press my hands on his arm, trying to get him to pull away.

He loosens his grip but still holds onto me. Tears blur my eyes.

"I didn't want to," I whisper. "I promise I didn't."

"Explain," he simply tells me.

I shake my head. "I can't. You read the letter and you saw what I said. I can't explain and I need you to leave."

"Like hell I'll leave!" He shouts. "I'm not leaving you here, Aveline. Give me a fucking explanation."

I push at his chest. Tears run down my face because I know he won't just give up.

"Dammit Leo just listen to me! I can't give you an explanation. It's too dangerous. Please—please just leave," I shout back.

A sob gets lodged in my throat and he releases my neck. He steps back and runs a furious hand through his hair.

"Do you know how mind fucked I've been the past three years? The morning I woke up without you—I went fucking crazy and I thought I lost you forever."

"I missed you so fucking much," he breathes out.

I look down at the ground, unable to look at him while he speaks.

"You told me you loved me, Aveline. So then why would you leave?"

He grips my chin and makes me look into his eyes.

"Because I had to. That's the only explanation I can offer. Please accept it, Leo," I beg, placing a hand on his chest.

He lowers his forehead to rest it against my own. His breathing is fast paced and deep. I know this is hurting him.

"The day after you became my wife. It's like I've been married to a ghost," he whispers.

I close my eyes tightly to fight at the extra tears.