Chapter 26 - Apology.

If the esteemed son of Ganga was shocked, he did not show it, thought Amba, eyeing the regal Shantanava with a veiled glance. She hid her uneasiness expertly at being present near the two oldest Royals of the time. Her sisters having understood her plight had taken her away from the entire commotion amongst the Royals. 

After living a solitary life for most of her life and then with a small family of her grandfather and son, Amba wasn't used to such a huge family and pomp and splendour that came with being a Royal. Hastinapura, on the other hand, was known for it's extravagance. 

Amba already felt tired. Slowly running her fingers on the cool railing in the veranda of her room, she looked up at the soothing moon. Her heart was still thudding against her heart with a decisive force. It's 'thud-thud-thud' wasn't soothing like usual. No, it was anxious. She slid down on the marble floor, circling her arms around her knees. Tears of helplessness left her eyes. The entire scenario that had once happened in this very palace floated in front of her eyes. Her Swayamvara - the cursed day of her life. The absolute rage she once felt now replaced by resignation. A heavy feeling settled within her heart as she wiped her eyes. Getting up steadily, she slowly moved into the room. While Amba was happy to see her sisters and satisfied to remind Bhishma and Satyavati of their deeds, she couldn't see herself staying in this place for more than a day.

Everything she wanted to forget was battering against her strained restraints. Amba, for once, did not know what to do. She splashed some water against her face, recollecting that she was a strong, independent lady. She knew words would spread that she was alive and present in the very place she had once refused to marry in. She declined the invitation to dinner that a maid carried over deciding to get out of the suffocating palace.

Devavrata found the woman he was searching for the past hour seated at the shore of his mother with a melancholic mood. If he had been shocked at seeing her for the first time in his palace, he was far more shocked at Kripa - his best friend knowing her. Then he had to explain to his best friend that Kripa's Kashvi was Amba, the eldest princess of Kashi. He had been left feeling immensely guilty over the conflicting look that Kripa had when he found out. But Bhishma had assured him that he need not pick sides for he would apologize. 

He approached from behind softly speaking, "Couldn't sleep?"

His smooth baritone washed over Amba, who stiffened immediately. It was by sheer will power that she did not get up hurriedly. She got up to leave, carefully keeping her back to him. 

"You did not answer my question."

Amba fired back, "What is it to you?"

"It's just a general question," said Devavrata gently, like he was approaching a wounded animal, "There is no need to get so offended."

Amba took in a deep shuddering breathing. She kept her defensive response in check as she spoke with a calm she wasn't feeling, "No I couldn't sleep in the place that reminds me off the worst day in my life. Is that all?"

Devavrata sighed, his eyes expressing genuine remorse, "No, I have something to say."

"Can you hurry?"

"I can but I won't," said he, "Will you mind facing me please?"

Amba exhaled, completely exhausted at the turbulence of the feelings raging inside her. She slowly turned around, finally meeting his deep soulful eyes, that reflected the drowning guilt he felt. She barely managed to swallow the surprised gasp.

"I apologize for my actions that had caused you immense grief and pain." His dark eyes met the hypnotizing blues, which he felt were very familiar.

A small wry smile played on her lips at the apology. 

Did he expect an apology would be enough to mend those years of loneliness, those nights that she stewed in humiliation at being rejected? It wasn't so easy.

She said with a small nod, "Alright. Do you have anything else to say, Your Excellency?"

He was stumped at her non-reaction. Instead he cleared his throat awkwardly, "N-No."

"Then allow me to leave."

.........

"That was lackluster, Devavrata." 

Ganga looked at the scene with an exasperated air around her as she approached her watching son. Bhishma traced the slowly disappearing figure of Amba, until she could no longer be seen. Ganga had noticed the subtle longing in his eyes - an emotion her son could not decipher himself.  She called, "Devavrata? Son?"

"Mother?" Bhishma's shocked voice would have been amusing if not for Ganga's irritation at her son's lackluster performance at an 'apology'. Well, one of the mightiest warrior of the era had never  learn to apologize, had he?

"How nice of you to finally notice me, son," She ignored her son's flushed face, "That apology could have been better. Your apology could not wash away everything she had suffered, son."

"I know, Mother," said Bhishma as he placed his head on her lap, "I don't know what to do. How shall I express that I am truly guilty? KashiKumari doesn't even want to see or speak with me, with good reasons."

"Sometimes actions speaks louder than words," said Ganga, understanding his problem, "I'm sure you would know what to do when the time comes."

"By the way, do you know who her husband is?" At his mother's raised eyebrow, he clarified hastily, "I just want to thank him for accepting her after well....everything that had happened."

Ganga blinked a bit at that. She wondered how to answer this question without revealing the truth. Slowly an idea started to form. She gave a mental smirk. This would pave the road to her son's happy married life.

"Her husband is a grumpy man," said Ganga, "Although I've heard he is very capable and a rather handsome man. You may have to meet him later. He isn't very fond of meeting new people."

Bhishma ignored the twinge within his heart although he fell into a contemplative silence with a sullen face, "Oh! I guess he would not want to meet the person who had given his beloved wife pain."

He nearly winced when he uttered the word 'beloved'.

Bhagirathi simply smiled, letting her only surviving son dwell within his sad thoughts.